Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a B&S soprano recently and now i'm looking for some advice on mouthpieces for it. On tenor i have a jody jazz 8*. What do you think I should start with on soprano then?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
I'd recommend a Runyon Custom 6 with the spoiler. Keep it cheap. The odds you'll find your main piece right away are pretty slim. There is little to compare between tenor and sop. The Runyon 6 has a medium opening, not too closed but not so open it is tough for a beginner to play. (You are a beginner.) Your Yamaha 6C is a good start but the Runyon will be more like the Jody Jazz. Also, start with at least 2.5 reeds, if not 2.0 reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,305 Posts
Udikas: How does the included mouthpiece play for you so far? If don't yet have a teacher, get one, then be guided by his/her advice.

In my experience, the mouthpieces I play on bigger saxophones have little to do with what I prefer on soprano, save for the fact that I like open tips.

Contrary to Tom's advice, I find Runyon soprano pieces to be distractingly small (both in bite and in sound). I'd imagine the included piece would play just as good as anything else you may seek out, at this early stage in your soprano career. Proper reed selection is probably more critical that the mouthpiece at this stage. DAVE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts