Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Had a notice from Aquila that their long awaited C sop is ready for those who have shown an interest in the past (waiting list). I gave up a year and a half after they said it would be ready (late 2009).

Anyone got one yet? Can we have a report please?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wade,
I am no that list and haven't got the message yet (or the sax).
I just got a King C Sop in great condition (original pads, most still working) and I am loving it, so Aquila might have lost a customer that couldn't wait that long.

I will be looking forward the reviews.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
729 Posts
Wade: you are going to buy an Aquila C sop, or are you asking just by curiosity?.- I am asking you because I know you own a Eppelsheim & Reese, Are you enjoying your E&R or do you regret about the purchase?.-

cvsimson: how´s about the intonation on your King C soprano?.- I have one from 1914 which have a beautiful tone, and a very good to excellent intonation, the only note which need attention (but it´s ok if you are on the mood), is middle C# (without octave key). Mine is a wonderful instrument, I was playing my new nino for the last 4 weeks, letting alone the King C for a while, but yesterday I picked it up again, and with no doubt is a very well designed instrument, with a lot of care on details.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Electrifique,
You described it perfectly. Middle C# is a bit low, but Everything else is just fine.
Mine was practically new, with most of the original pads still working fine.
It came with the original mouthpiece, that has a very nice sound, but is very closed. I am trying to find out if I should get it tweaked or buy a new one.
What mouthpiece do you use on yours?

·
729 Posts
I am using a Selmer metal C** but completely reworked, (throat & chamber opened, refaced to E aprox. ) this is my favourite piece, but I also have a Selmer S80 E (super easy blowing for me, more than the metal one, but I like the tone of the Selmer metal), and a Bilger which have a nice gentle dark tone.
In my opinion I would keep the original piece, not to have it like a collector item, but it´s good to keep it like a reference sample to try different pieces and compare it to the original sound. I have a Buescher C tenor with the original piece, ( I like the original sound of it), but sometimes I use it with my tenor pieces, but always I come back to the original as a reference to hear the original sound and keep it on my mind when I choose a tenor piece.
Here it is all about my King C soprano: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?149456-1914-King-C-soprano-review

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Andres,
That is a great review.
Tomorrow I will take a few pictures of mine and post it in a new thread. My RH pinky cluster is slightly different, with the C#, B and Bb keys all in a line behind the G#.

Saludos,

Cristiano

·
729 Posts
Do you mean your LH, right?.-
Yes, I believe mine is a very old model from 1914, maybe before they designed the typical King G# rounded spatula, which is probably like yours often seen on Bb King sopranos, I would like to see your pictures, thanks.
I assume you speak spanish,Cristiano, saludos también para vos, Andrés.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wade: you are going to buy an Aquila C sop, or are you asking just by curiosity?.- I am asking you because I know you own a Eppelsheim & Reese, Are you enjoying your E&R or do you regret about the purchase?.-

cvsimson: how´s about the intonation on your King C soprano?.- I have one from 1914 which have a beautiful tone, and a very good to excellent intonation, the only note which need attention (but it´s ok if you are on the mood), is middle C# (without octave key). Mine is a wonderful instrument, I was playing my new nino for the last 4 weeks, letting alone the King C for a while, but yesterday I picked it up again, and with no doubt is a very well designed instrument, with a lot of care on details.
Yes I got an E&R which is pretty good, but difficult playing the palm keys. Mostly good intonation. Quite bright and I found a need to darken the sound quite a bit. Right you are about being curious. Having waited a very long time and being told repeatedly that it was only a few months off I decided not to wait any longer. Now that it's available I'm curious if those who waited are OK with the horn they have received.

·
729 Posts
Wade: maybe the bright side could be darkened using a Rovner ligature, I have tried one on my new nino, and worked very good, so I am using on it, it taken away all the typical brightness of the nino, it worked better on the nino than in soprano.
Gonzales reeds could help too, they are darker than Vandoren.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,292 Posts
I would enjoy playing a King as I have owed several each of Holton, Martin, Conn and Buescher but not a King! I find the intonation of the Martins to be very good and the Conns to be terrible. For a mouthpiece, I have tried all types of original C soprano ones and find the Yamaha 4C or 3C to be very good on these.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hi Bruce,
I will try an Yamaha mouthpiece. Thanks for the tip.

Andres, I am Brazilian and speak "Portunhol". And you are right. I meant LH. I guess I was half asleep already.

Wade,
Sorry for derrailing your thread a bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
Wade, to get back on topic, I may just be in a position to review one of the new Aquilasax C Soprano's in about two to three weeks time - China Post and UK Customs delays permitting :( - so I'm holding my breath...

Been having a lot of fun playing modern curvie Bb soprano's recently, so much so that my 20's Conn C Soprano feels decidedly odd now, so I'm looking forward (fingers crossed) to the arrival of the new C.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looking forward to your review Alan, I'm very interested in these too.

·
729 Posts
cmelodysax: I would like to know about the Aquilasax C soprano too, yours is to high F or Eb?, I bought recently a chinese nino and I got very surprised about the intonation including high f#, I think the Aquilasax should be also very good. Matt(utopia) has an Aquilasax curvy and he told me is very good.

cvsimson: I speak portunhol too. I am a BIG fan of Brasil and their culture, specially the music.

Wade: excuse me for being aside of your topic, for a while.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
electricfigue - it'll be the new model, the Eclipse, to F#. Should ship out next week, so, realistically it'll be here mid-end August, depending on UK Customs delays (currently 7-10 days gathering dust...)

·
729 Posts
Congratulations cmelodysax! have you also ordered one metal piece for your soprano? I was curious for a while about those, but finally I ended modifying a Selmer Metal, with good results, so my search on has finished.
Oh, yes, the Customs, the worldwide hell for saxophone players...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts