Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a manufacturing defect or a normal occurrence in manufacturing? There is no leak, they seal nice but hang over the front half of the tonehole much more than the back part, which also makes the resonator off center. Is this being too nit picky if the horn sounds great?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I have to say that those type of issues at least for me are non issues. As long as the pad is seating properly and the horn plays well, that is totally cosmetic....if it bothers you get it fixed, but those type of issues have no bearing on playabilty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is, there does not seem to be a way to fix this without serious re-soldering and/or bending etc. It looks like they may have assembled the bell off a few mm, but put the posts on from that point, so you cant change this easily(and probably don't want too, I know), But since it's fresh from the factory, I'm curious if this is a QC miss, or if this is somewhat common? Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
The thing is, there does not seem to be a way to fix this without serious re-soldering and/or bending etc. It looks like they may have assembled the bell off a few mm, but put the posts on from that point, so you cant change this easily(and probably don't want too, I know), But since it's fresh from the factory, I'm curious if this is a QC miss, or if this is somewhat common? Thanks
I wouldn't worry about it...I've seen this kind of thing before and I don't think it matters.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
But since it's fresh from the factory, I'm curious if this is a QC miss, or if this is somewhat common? Thanks
Relatively common and harmless. Sometimes poor alignment of key cup over tone hole can cause some issues but it depends, sound like there's no problem in your case. Bending the keys and using thicker pads would help a tiny bit, but probably be worse in the end. Pretty much the only ways to fix it would be to shorten the key arms, which is major surgery, especially on a new instrument wher eyou probably don't want cosmetic issues. I would consider this a non issue and move on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Check the low C key on Yamaha altos - very often that can be way off centre so the front edge of the pad has around a millimetre between it and the tonehole.

It's very common and hardly worth worrying about providing the pads close. If it was a problem, Yamaha wouldn't let them out the factory. This isn't only a Yamaha thing - there are tons of other saxes out there with misaligned pad cups for whatever reason, but so long as the pads close against the toneholes then that's the main thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
It's very common and hardly worth worrying about providing the pads close. If it was a problem, Yamaha wouldn't let them out the factory.
The worst alignment problem I've seen from factory was on low B and Bb keys on a Yamaha-made Vito alto, not a result of a bell twisting/turning, but a manufacturing problem. However it seemed to be a one-off.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My 82Z came off the factory with the low c# pad waaaaay off center. It still plays well, so I don't mess with it. When the time comes to change the pad or overhaul then I'll bring it up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The worst alignment problem I've seen from factory was on low B and Bb keys on a Yamaha-made Vito alto, not a result of a bell twisting/turning, but a manufacturing problem. However it seemed to be a one-off.
This may be the same issue. The off centering is from front to back, as if the bell had been twisted, except that it's from the factory and the pads were placed at the time of misalignment, as well as the posts. It's like the only solution would be breaking/resoldering posts or shortening the arms. The Yamaha warranty is 5 years, would this be considered a defect?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts