Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo

Recently bought a 60s Martin Magna (Similar to a Committee iii) tenor. I'd never played a sax in my life before playing this one (I'm mainly a guitarist) but I was researching them a lot before buying and read that they're pretty sought after.

I've decided to have it overhauled because I only paid £700 for it (what would people normally think to pay for one?). Anyone else here play one? What mpc do you use? I picked up a link STM #6 for it, (any opinions on a link on a martin)? For an idea of what sort of sound I like, Pharoah and Trane are my top two players, (I know it takes more than equipment to achieve this)...

I'll get some better photos when its back from the techs.

Cheers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Nice horn! Link + Martin works great, you should have an excellent starting setup to learn. Good luck, have fun!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes, you definitely already have the right setup. You did good! Did it really need an overhaul?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you definitely already have the right setup. You did good! Did it really need an overhaul?
Yeah, I think so. When the guy sold it to me he said I could probably do with getting it overhauled / serviced. I've taken it to a tech who was recommended by a mate of mine and the tech said yeah it could probably do with a good service and a repad cause she has a few dents, leaks, and rattles. Looking forward to getting her back though. Also man, how do I delete a comment once I've made it, I can't see a button for it anywhere.

Cheers

Buster

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Yeah, I think so. When the guy sold it to me he said I could probably do with getting it overhauled / serviced. I've taken it to a tech who was recommended by a mate of mine and the tech said yeah it could probably do with a good service and a repad cause she has a few dents, leaks, and rattles. Looking forward to getting her back though. Also man, how do I delete a comment once I've made it, I can't see a button for it anywhere.

Cheers

Buster

BTW, the Martin horns are fantastic (Note my avatar), especially the Committee III/Magna models. You did extremely well choosing one of these. Hope your tech is experienced with working on these specifically, as there are a few tricks involved getting them running optimally.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, the Martin horns are fantastic (Note my avatar), especially the Committee III/Magna models. You did extremely well choosing one of these. Hope your tech is experienced with working on these specifically, as there are a few tricks involved getting them running optimally.
Hey man

Yeah, I read that theres a knack to setting them up, I made sure to ask my tech if he'd seen them before and he assured me yes.

Appreciate it man, I've been wanting a tenor for a long time now and kept talking myself out of it (due to already playing four instruments), but recently I was back in the frame of mind that I wanted to get one. So I was researching a load of different vintage tenors but started feeling maybe I'd be stupid to shed out the money that the couple of old Conns were on eBay for and I actually gave up on looking.
Then, the week after I thought, oh I'll just check and see if anything new has come on and this horn had literally just been listed on auction 10 minutes before I'd logged on. By this point I'd already done the research so I arranged for the guy to pull it off eBay and give it to me at a price of £700.

Cheers again

Buster

·
Registered
566 Posts

Cheers

Buster
I think you’re going to be surprised when you get it back. Martin Magnas and Comm III are awesome horns. I have a Comm III that I got in a trade and it’s the best tenor I’ve ever played.

What type of pads and resos is the tech going to use?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you’re going to be surprised when you get it back. Martin Magnas and Comm III are awesome horns. I have a Comm III that I got in a trade and it’s the best tenor I’ve ever played.

Hey man,

I don't actually know what pads or resos he's going to use but I'll find out when I go to pick it up.
Hopefully I'll be getting it back at some point this week.

Cheers

·
Registered
457 Posts
Congratulations! You got a screaming deal, and having a fully overhauled horn to learn on is a best case scenario. Even if it costs as much as you paid to overhaul it, it will totally be worth it!!

So many people learn to play on crappy, leaky horns. A huge disadvantage, because you have no way of knowing if the issues you are trying to overcome are you or the horn.

Conventional wisdom is flatter, harder pads with flat resonators work best for Martins, but others may do it differently. Make sure to have the tech check for tiny pin-hole leaks around the chimneys as they are soldered on. Also check all the posts for potentially failing solder joints.

Martins are spectacular sounding horns; there is literally nothing else that sounds like them. I've had my The Martin tenor for about 10 years, and recently got a Magna alto and my MK VII (that I've played for over 40 years) is gathering dust.

You'll get loads of great advice hear about starting out, but here's mine: As you're diving into the learning curve of fingerings, embouchure development, diaphragm support, etc. (which can be kinda steep at the beginning but get easier fairly quickly) take the time to fall in love with the sound. I'm also a guitar player, and a major difference between them is the sound of a sax actually resonates inside your body as you play it. The reed makes the sound but the column of air inside you body is part of the resonance of the instrument. It's a tremendously intimate connection between player and instrument. There's a reason why a sax can be such a soulful instrument. For all intents and purposes, the music that comes out of the bell is physically inside your body and part of you. Fall in love with that, and you'll have a great teacher that lives inside you.

But definitely get an 'outside' teacher also. Super important, especially when first starting.

I wish I had started with a Martin, but I feel blessed to have ended up there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations! You got a screaming deal, and having a fully overhauled horn to learn on is a best case scenario. Even if it costs as much as you paid to overhaul it, it will totally be worth it!!

So many people learn to play on crappy, leaky horns. A huge disadvantage, because you have no way of knowing if the issues you are trying to overcome are you or the horn.

Conventional wisdom is flatter, harder pads with flat resonators work best for Martins, but others may do it differently. Make sure to have the tech check for tiny pin-hole leaks around the chimneys as they are soldered on. Also check all the posts for potentially failing solder joints.

Martins are spectacular sounding horns; there is literally nothing else that sounds like them. I've had my The Martin tenor for about 10 years, and recently got a Magna alto and my MK VII (that I've played for over 40 years) is gathering dust.

You'll get loads of great advice hear about starting out, but here's mine: As you're diving into the learning curve of fingerings, embouchure development, diaphragm support, etc. (which can be kinda steep at the beginning but get easier fairly quickly) take the time to fall in love with the sound. I'm also a guitar player, and a major difference between them is the sound of a sax actually resonates inside your body as you play it. The reed makes the sound but the column of air inside you body is part of the resonance of the instrument. It's a tremendously intimate connection between player and instrument. There's a reason why a sax can be such a soulful instrument. For all intents and purposes, the music that comes out of the bell is physically inside your body and part of you. Fall in love with that, and you'll have a great teacher that lives inside you.

But definitely get an 'outside' teacher also. Super important, especially when first starting.

I wish I had started with a Martin, but I feel blessed to have ended up there.
Thank you boss, really appreciate it.

I totally get where you are coming from when it comes to people learning on crappy instruments, me and my dad have always talked about the amount of people who have given up on guitar due to the fact they've had to learn on instruments with sharp frets, bad actions and sh*t intonation...

I also get what you mean when it comes to the sax being a more soulful and deeper instrument, I've been fighting with the urge to get one ever since I got into the heavier stuff by Pharaoh and Coltrane...

Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yo boss, I messaged my tech tonight to ask what pads and resos he is using; he said he's ordered some Pisoni Pro pads with flat resonators from Italy. I'm new to saxophone altogether, let alone Martins so I don't know much about this particular pad, but, my tech assured me he has worked with Martins before so I have to trust him really.

Cheers

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yo boss, I messaged my tech tonight to ask what pads and resos he is using; he said he's ordered some Pisoni Pro pads with flat resonators from Italy. I'm new to saxophone altogether, let alone Martins so I don't know much about this particular pad, but, my tech assured me he has worked with Martins before so I have to trust him really.

Cheers
Pisoni pads work very well with the Martin Tenor. You’re going to love this horn!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Fantastic horn. There's a video by a tech - forgetting the name right now - on youtube specific to this horn. Fast light action when it's right. I don't know if anything touches the bottom end of these things. Enjoy! Take Lessons! Any resonators should sound good.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts