Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never - Ever order anything from Music & Arts (musicarts.com)

Why? I'd say zero customer service, but it's worse than that. It's negative customer service. They lie to get you off the phone and then do not follow up.

I placed an order for 4 items, the website said they were in stock. In a few days half arrives with no indication whether the rest has been back-ordered or if it's coming in a separate shipment. I figured I should be patient and wait a couple of days. When nothing showed up I decided to give them a call.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 I called their customer service number and the rep said she would e-mail the ordering department and give me an answer by the end of the day. I told her if I was out, leave the details on the answering machine. Music & Arts did not call

Wednesday, December 18 2019 I tried customer service again. The rep apologized and said I would e-mail shipping get an answer by the end of the day. It was a lie, I did not get a return call.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 same thing. I ask if she can call shipping and give me a definite "Yes" or "No" whether you have these products or not. She said she can't call, only e-mail and I'll get a return call by the end of the day. Again, it was another lie, no return call.

Friday December 20, 2019, same thing. The rep said she would e-mail shipping, I explain that hasn't worked. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and she said she would have one call me by the end of the day. Of course, I got neither a call about shipping nor a call from a supervisor - more lies.

Saturday December 21, 2019 I called twice. Once in the morning and the rep said that he would e-mail shipping again and definitely have a supervisor call me by the end of the day. More lies.

Saturday December 21, 2019, i call back at almost closing time, because no shipping department or supervisor called, and the evening rep said supervisors don't work on the weekend, and she would e-mail shipping again.

Lies, lies, lies.

You have been warned, do not order from this sorry excuse for a music company.

Bob "Notes" Norton

·
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Monday I'll be issuing a charge-back on my credit card if I don't hear from them. I should have done this sooner.

Notes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Monday I'll be issuing a charge-back on my credit card if I don't hear from them. I should have done this sooner.

Notes
I just had the same experience. You should just call the credit card company and get them to reverse the charge. That's what I did and it took seconds. I kept getting the run around from them. I literally gave them 6 weeks to issue a refund after receiving the wrong product.

Completely ridiculous. In no other business, would you return something completely new/untouched, then have to wait 6 weeks for a refund while you pay the credit card statement.

My credit card company took the money straight from the bank Music & Arts does business with. It was pretty painless. So when Music & Arts gets around to issuing the refund, they'll have to talk with their bank and explain to them what's going on. The problem is not the physical locations, it's the finance dept in Maryland. I don't know what they do over there, but it's not work.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Yes. As soon as the package arrived with items missing and no explanation, the clock was ticking. I'd have given them one, or at most two chances to explain themselves and make it right. Not half a dozen --- don't let them steal your time as well as your money. Then it's straight to unilateral financial remedies from the buyer's side.

·
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, I did get a prompt refund without calling my credit card company.

They are still on my 'blacklist' of places to never again do business with.

I don't do business with Guitar Center either. I prefer my local mom & pop store, and if they can't get it, I go online.

Notes

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am afraid that I have to agree with the OP that ordering from Music & Arts is a recipe for disaster, especially when it is a "special order" for something "not in the warehouse."

I ordered an amplifier from them, last year. It took a couple of weeks to come in, I think. Meanwhile I found something better, so I called to ask about their returns policy before buying the better amp. It was a Sunday, however, and they were closed, and did not answer. So I took a chance, bought the better amp.

Then I went in to "pick up" the inferior amp, with the intention of asking for an immediate refund on it. Granted, that is not a good way for me to do business as a customer, so I will accept responsibility for my own indecisive behavior. In a sense, I was willing to eat my mistake, since I had already agreed to place the order, but if they were willing to accept the return, I was willing to overlook my own character flaw--especially since it would be brand-new unused merchandise in their own possession with no question as to whether or not the box had ever been opened and re-sealed, for example.

"I'm sorry," the manager said, to my surprise. "We can't accept returns on special-order items."

"What 'special order,' " I asked. "It was just an ordinary order."

"No, but, if the item is in our warehouse, it is an ordinary order, and if it is not, it is a special order, with no returns," he said. "This was a special order."

I guess what he meant was that they simply had it "drop shipped" directly from the factory to the store, rather than to any warehouse or distribution center. I could have done that myself online.

"But if it is such a big deal to you," he added, "I might be able to pull some strings, and get you some in-store credit for future purchases, but I can't get you your money back. Even so, I would have to pull some strings, as it is not company policy."

"No," I said. "That's okay. I'll take responsibility for my own mistake, and try to sell it online."

So I knocked off 30% and still have not found a buyer in one year.

Then there was a worse experience.

I had a gig in which I would have to set up my equipment in two locations at the same time: a wedding ceremony, followed immediately by the reception, each in the same building, but in different rooms. So, instead of investing in much more equipment, such as another mixing console, I just bought a reverb guitar pedal, so that I could plug it into an existing speaker in the wedding chapel, and have reverb going through my microphone without affecting the accompanimen soundtracks.

So I bought a pedal that the Music & Arts manager recommended, one of which he owned himself.

Weeks passed, and the order did not arrive. I asked the manager about it, he called and checked, but the order had not come in.

"I apologize," he said. "I'll be happy to lend you my own pedal, in the meantime, and you can give it back when the order comes in."

That was a generous offer, but I did not have the heart to take another man's equipment, running the risk that something should happen to it while in my care, and then I would be responsible for replacing his own. Still, he had the right attitude.

Weeks later, still no order, but the manager offered again to lend me his own pedal, and again, I refused respectfully.

The wedding came and ended. No reverb that day.

Weeks more passed, and no order.

Finally, after seven weeks, and three phone calls, I got up the nerve to take my receipt to the store and ask politely for a cancelation and refund, and this time it was no special order, but simply "out of stock." I intended to order the pedal on Amazon, as I should have, in the first place.

As chance would have it, I got to the store, walked in, and the manager said, "What a coincidence. Your pedal just arrived. We tried to call you, but got no answer..." At that point I was able to retrieve the pedal without even telling him that I had come in to cancel the order.

So, I decided never again to order anything through Music & Arts.

Having said that, the employees, themselves, can often be wonderful people, as demonstrated by the manager at this one store. There is a great sax player that manages at least one shift, and he cheerfully gives all the advice in the world to anyone who asks saxophone questions.

Add to that, the fact that another employee there gave me a 10% discount for being a music teacher, when I had not even asked for it. In fact, I don't even work as a music teacher.

"But you have taught music to someone, haven't you?" she asked.

"Well," I answered, "Technically, yes, I have taught a few informal saxophone classes, here and there, and I taught a beginner's course on guitar, years ago, but it was all volunteer work."

"Who cares? That makes you a music teacher," she said. "I'm giving you ten percent off."

On another occasion, I was getting ready to pay about $100 for a bunch of music books, when the cello teacher came out from a private lesson, saw me, and immediately offered to give me her own employee discount! I saved about $30, as I recall.

Conclusion: nice people, decent selection, but never place a special order.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts