Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Yamaha 82Z Alto, Yanagisawa 990 Tenor, Singers Day SBDS-2001 Bari, Jean Baptiste JB-65/L Soprano
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really been super enthused with playing tenor. Bari has always been my favorite horn and then alto. I love the sound of a well played tenor and many of my favorite saxophonists are tenor players. It has, probably, the most versatility and repertoire beyond jazz and sounds great. I've just never really been excited by playing it. Well that's all changed now. I just got a new to me 90s era Yani 990 tenor and it is probably the best saxophone I've ever played. Paired with my old JJ HR* 7* it has a nice moderately dark and smooth sound and plays freely. But, paired with the Jody Jazz DV Chi 7* it is probably the most fun and exciting sax setup I've ever played. I am simply loving the feel, quality, and playability of the horn and the versatility of the DV Chi on it is incredible. It's exactly the horn and sound I was looking for when I decided to give tenor another shot. The solidness and feel of the horn, moderately modern keywork, and the sound and ergonomics are just right to me. Just blows my old S80 out of the water. This is the first Yani I've owned, and I think I get it now. I've been a Yamaha fan since I bought my first 62 alto in the early 2000s. This horn like Yamaha and Selmer made a baby and it's everything I always wanted both to be. Just like that, I might prefer this tenor to all my other horns. I guess I need to try some other Yanis, but this could get expensive if I'm not careful. 馃槅

Premium Member
Yanagisawa makes very nice saxophones. The 9XX series were great horns, but in my experience they are not as focused as the WO series. For me that makes the WO series the best to date. I prefer my AWO10 to the A991, Serie III and Mark VI I used to own. However, all of there horns are well made and your 990 is no exception. Welcome to the Yany players group. Your membership ring and complimentary donuts are in the mail. 馃槃

Having said that I do really like the YTS-62iii I鈥檓 currently playing. However, I might prefer the T901 I used to own. They are pretty close in my estimation.

Registered
The Yani soprano's are superb! ;) ...the alto's are good:p, the tenor's just don't have enough Oomph, sorry:oops:...Whoomp, There it is!

Distinguished SOTW Member
if the rest dont matter -why does alto have the lead part in big bands?

Registered
Yamaha 82Z Alto, Yanagisawa 990 Tenor, Singers Day SBDS-2001 Bari, Jean Baptiste JB-65/L Soprano
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The new Yanys are head and shoulders better than the previous ones.

YMMV of course. But there it is ...
Great horns and great decision to get a tenor! Hopefully, you've already packed up the alto for safe, long-term storage :)
No, the alto will still get it's share of playing time, a lot less than before, thoguh. I am having lots fun with this horn. I do like the Yamaha 82Zs, but this Yani just feels good to me and the price was right with a fresh overhaul over a newer horn. I would like to check out some of the newer ones just for comparison. If I make a stopover in a city with a stocked dealer, maybe I'll be able to try one out.

Forum Contributor 2015-2017
Enjoy your Yany. I had the same revelation, but opposite.

Never had played an alto i liked.
That A880 was like magic, though.

Distinguished SOTW Member
the A880 IS indeed magic. since i got mine none of my other vintage pro horns have gone to many gigs.

Registered
Another vote for the A880 here鈥攎y fave alto to date (with a BA and a Dolnet not far behind, the slightly more beautiful tone on those offset by more quirks).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts