·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXftv49tods

Off to record some bass clarinet today and having not played it in a while
and to get on track I listen to one of my favourite John Surman pieces
Nestors Saga. Wonderful piece this and when Jack DeJohnette kicks in later
and JS switches to soprano it gets even more amazing. The vocalisations on soprano
blow me away everytime.
From a golden period on ECM.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Wow- just got round to checking this one out. Lovely stuff .....
By the way, I've been intrigued to hear what your Nordic horn section- mentioned elsewhere- actually sounds like. Where could a chap go to hear it in action?

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello mate.
I've done quite a lot and it sounds like I intended but it's not mixed or finished. I recently put a load of my Jaw Harps on it in different keys and then lowered some an octave. Lots of authentic percussion..Frame drums, reindeer bells, clanging metal.
The project is on hold for a few weeks whilst we soundtrack the film for the Tramlines AV Zone ..( lot of work).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Keep us posted when its availalbe for public consumption, I'd be fascinated to hear it.... By the way, can you recommend me a John Surman album? He's just arrived on my radar and I'm keen to hear some of his stuff but- as with most long established artists- not sure where to start......

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I prefer his earlier work although it's all pretty excellent. The stuff he did with Barre Phillips and Stu Martin " The Trio" is great. I like " Westering Home" which is him solo as a lot are. I think his sound and playing on sop, bari and bass clt on Westering Home are a model for these three horns. cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts