Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My teacher told me that Nestico had definite rules for solos. For the III7 and the II7 he wanted the 5th mode of the harmonic minor, and for the VI7 and II7 it was the 5th mode of the major scale. It seems to me that you could use either at any time, but maybe he didn't want the soloist to screw up his arrangements. Have any of you guys heard this before?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
no.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
You have to explain this a little better.... I think I might understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
My teacher told me that Nestico had definite rules for solos.
I was weaned on Nestico charts, starting from his earlier charts when he was a DC military arranger, forward. I personally have never seen any directions regarding what scales to use. Another point - although I have no doubt Sammy knows all of the "modes", etc, I just don't think telling a soloist to play "the 5th mode of the harmonic minor over a III7 or II7" would be in his normal vocabulary. I'd like to see him tell Basie's soloists what scale/chord to play and when.

I really don't know the answer to the question, but I would be interested in knowing if he actually was that directive on what chord/scale to use, or if he would be recommending these usages perhaps in more specific contexts, i.e. school big band clinics and the like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
I'm with Gary. I have never heard of an arranger having "rules" for solos let alone Sammy Nestico. Doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
One of the things I loved about his arrangements/charts is having four bars to each line on the page. A great help in knowing where you are!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
I really don't know the answer to the question, but I would be interested in knowing if he actually was that directive on what chord/scale to use, or if he would be recommending these usages perhaps in more specific contexts, i.e. school big band clinics and the like.
This is the context I could see this happening, maybe even coming from the Publisher and not Nestico.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Man, I've been playing this wrong for so many years!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll e-mail my teacher to see where he heard that. I think what he wants is for me to not always rely on the mixolydian scale for unaltered dominants although the harmonic minor does give some altered extended tones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
One of the things I loved about his arrangements/charts is having four bars to each line on the page. A great help in knowing where you are!
Every musician would benefit from reading a book on preparing music manuscript.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I worked for several years at Passport Designs as a programmer on Encore, a music notation program. One of the reference books we used was one which I bought many years previous, when I actually used to copy music by hand (gasp!).

The Art of Music Copying by Clinton Roemer.

This is the definitive book on the subject, and man oh man, a well copied part makes it so much easier to read. Especially when you have to sight read on the gig.

Aside from penmanship techniques, every point in that book is valid today, and will remain so until we all read from DAW piano rolls instead...

My memory of the many Sammy Nestico charts I've played leads me to believe the people that copied his arrangements had read that book too. The 4-bar-per-line rule is just one of many factors that goes into making a written part readable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts