Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 40th Birthday present just arrived, a Selmer III Tenor in Silver plate. It's my first new-to-me horn ever.

Living where I do, I would have to fly somewhere to try horns, so I bought this from Pro Winds hoping for the best. I asked to have the horn set-up since there isn't a good tech around here that I've heard of (I'm in the FL Keys). They reassured me they set-up all of their horns before they ship them.

Well, it doesn't play very well...'G' especially in the second octave doesn't want to sound...it takes some effort to get it out. On the other hand, the low notes speak very easily.

I've tried the horn with 5 different mouthpieces....it's not the mouthpiece.

Is it just a simple matter of sending the horn to a tech for a set-up? Is there a chance I have a lemon or it just needs a set-up? I would hate to get the horn back from a tech and still be having the same problems...since I can return the horn now but not after I have a set-up done.

Send the horn back or to a tech?

Do I need a full Tenor Madness style set-up?

Who else besides Tenor Madness would you recommend for a set-up? (I will have to ship the horn...)

Sorry for the long-winded post.....and thanks in advance for your help!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Do Pro Winds set up horns prior to shipping? Selmers come from the factory with very inconsistent set ups (nothing that an hour or so's work can't fix, not big problems but ropey regualtion etc), so in all probability you've just got a badly set up horn. The other variable is things getting knocked out of whack in transit. It's very unlikely there's any really serious problem that a decent techie can't sort out ('fraid i can't help you on that, being a Brit and all that!)....
hope you sort things out ok..

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would bet that the adjustment just went out of wack during shipping. Even if the horn was in great adjustment to start with, I've seen even well packed horns get knocked a little bit. Florida has some excellent techs, but I'm not sure about the Keys area. I'm sure if you ask around here some more, you'll find a recommendation for someone not too far from you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,

Thanks for the quick replies!

If I sent it off for adjustment, I guess it could just whacked out of adjustment on it's way back to me.

Do I send it and hope for the best?

Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Like was said above, SHIPPING is most likely the problem. The last thing I would do is to ship it off again.

I'd take some time and closely examine every inch of the horn and all of it's rods, pads, levers, etc. to see if you can spot the problem. I had a similar experience with a curved soprano and was able to fix it without taking it or shipping it away.

After you have closely examined every piece of the mechanism, then DRIVE it to a good technician, even it requires a day's drive and an overnight. DAVE

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you have any christmas lights, drop a strand down the horn, go in a completely dark room, hold a low Bb fingering (every key closed), and then peer around the horn to see if you see any light coming out from under the pads. A flashlight can also sometimes be used depending on the size.

If you see light, your horn has leaks, caused by poor adjustment from shipping, or poor setup, or whatever. If you don't see leaks, I'd expect the horn to sound fine.

If you spot any leaks, take a look at possible causes. Sometimes it's the pad itself, but other times the key may have been slightly bent, or something simple like a spring might not be on.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
Dave Dolson said:
DRIVE it to a good technician, even it requires a day's drive and an overnight. DAVE
I've seen everyone drop their horns off with Emilio while vacationing or touring in New England. There has to be someone of quality reasonably near you.

In other words, to quote Bluto Blutarsky: "Road Trip!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Ur2funky said:
Well, it doesn't play very well...'G' especially in the second octave doesn't want to sound...it takes some effort to get it out. On the other hand, the low notes speak very easily.
Sounds like you've already started a good diagnosis of the problem. Check the body vent that lifts when you play G2. Does it look like it is lifting clear of the pip when actuated?

Check also the adjustment of the octave key on the neck to ensure that when it's open, it's open, and that when it is supposed to be shut, that it is seating all the way.

Don't give up on the horn. Those are great instruments. Excellent choice!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If it's the G in the upper octave, but the A & B above are OK-ish, then the octave mechanism is the first place I would look. Check that the keys are seating around there, and also check the octave holes.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Looks like Dr G and I posted at the same time, with the same idea!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
If it is only around G2, it is probably an octave key adjustment. I am in South Miami near UM if you want to run it up I am around most afternoons and will look at it. 305-667-4925. Probably an easy while you wait fix.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ur2funky said:
Hey,

Thanks for the quick replies!

If I sent it off for adjustment, I guess it could just whacked out of adjustment on it's way back to me.

Do I send it and hope for the best?

Thanks again!
there must be somebody in Miami who can look at it for you....how far out of Miami are you? If possible, I'd find a tech up there and take the horn to him myself....avoid the possibility of it getting knocked back out of whack in shipping...

bigtiny

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey,

Thanks to everyone for calming my paranioa....I've never invested sooo much money in a horn and started losing perspective. I found a leak even without a light that made a big difference....off tomorrow to Home Depot for parts to make a leak light.

Any other suggestions on Techs in S. Florida would still be appreciated!

I love this site!

Thanks again!

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Those Tenors are great, I had the opprunitity to play a Series III, while my II was in the shop. I liked my II better, but the III, was a very nice horn just a little brighter. Have fun with the horn.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't know how far Bradenton is, but Saul Fromkin, one of the best ever old time repairman moved there from NYC. I believe he still works at Gatuso's or something like that.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Pgraves said:
Don't know how far Bradenton is, but Saul Fromkin, one of the best ever old time repairman moved there from NYC. I believe he still works at Gatuso's or something like that.
I had heard Saul moved across Florida to Jupiter. Not sure how up-to-date that is. I've never had him work on one of my horns, but have heard many good things about him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey Bruce,

I did get your message, thanks! PM sent.

I've tried to find Saul Fromkin before with some old threads that lead to the music shop where he worked at which has changed ownership twice since they were posted...I am calling around today to see if I might luck into finding him.

The one leak I fixed has made a 100% improvement in the horn...I figure after I make a leak light tonight and I'll see if I can get the horn better yet...then when I can get it to a tech, they can always make it even better!

Thanks again all!!!

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Ur2funky said:
....off tomorrow to Home Depot for parts to make a leak light.
Careful with that--make sure to ground very well and/or use a transformer to reduce voltage to the part that you stick into the metal horn that you'll be holding in your hands! I just picked up one of the Ferree's leak lights used off of eBay for checking my own horns, and it has a transformer. I think that only 6V or 12V is sent out to the bulb.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts