Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a Conn 444N from approximately 1948 at my local resale shop today. I was shocked when I stumbled upon it since most of the time you only see vitos and other common student models at these shops. Its not in the best shape. It definitely needs a repad, the barrel has already been repaired at one point, and there are chips out of the bottom of the lower connector of the body to the bell. The bell also doesn't look like it original. Maybe a 424N bell on a 444N body? It came with a Conn Steelay standard mouthpiece as well. With what little I could get the clarinet to play it sounded pretty good and the mouthpiece played very nicely.
Any and all information I could get regarding this horn, mouthpiece, and the repairability of it would be greatly appreciated.

-JF View attachment 25845 View attachment 25846 View attachment 25847 View attachment 25848

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
That tenon is likely going to need to be removed completely and a new one mated to the body (quite a bit beyond the scope of cyanoacrylate and grenadilla chips as a fix:bluewink:).

How much did you pay for this example?

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
That tenon is likely going to need to be removed completely and a new one mated to the body (quite a bit beyond the scope of cyanoacrylate and grenadilla chips as a fix:bluewink:).
Hard to say for sure without seeing it but a strong glue filler with reinforcement (stainless) steel pins might be a good alternative to consider.

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's a great price. It's good to know there are still some hidden gems. My Conn 6M alto only cost me $300. Only needs a few minor repairs. Still, with clarinets all I can find are old Vito's these days. Good luck with the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
So...how much did you pay for the, uhm, touch-up? Just curious...

This sure looks great now. How does it play?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a few hundred for the work. All said and done I am in under $400. It plays great! The big bore is really nice and allows you to put a lot of air through it. I can see why Artie Shaw played one of these.

·
Registered
718 Posts
A great pick up at that price. I've got a 1947 Conn 444N and I love playing on it because of the really big bore...

KennyD

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A great pick up at that price. I've got a 1947 Conn 444N and I love playing on it because of the really big bore...
Yeah, I love the big bore. It is, by far, the best clarinet I have played.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts