Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I’m about to be creating a video testing out different ways to hold a reed to a mouthpiece, so see 1. If they could work in a pinch and 2. To see how/if the sound is affected. So far I’ll be using:

Regular lig (control)
Rubber band
Hair tie
Shoe lace
Tape
Gum
Someone’s hand holding it on
Drilling through mouthpiece and reed and putting a bolt and nut on
????

Let me know what you’d like to see! Haters more than welcome (like always).

#makejazzfunagain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am actually very interested with the drilling method, you could also diversify just with this one :
- 1 hole in the center of the reed,
- 2 holes along the table (still in the middle of the reed, widthwise),
- 3 or 4 holes on the sides of the reed.
Then, is there a difference between using nails and using screws ?

You could also glue (and different glues may have different results) the reed to the table of the mouthpiece.
Similar idea (but that's a tough one to implement, if that's even possible): start to melt the table and glue the reed to it using the melt/resolidifying material.

Plant small metal claws in the table and just pin the reed on the claws.

Put only a 1mm wide (metal) clamp at the far end of the reed, and maintain the seal with embouchure only (good luck with that ! :D)

Use a regular clamp type ligature (otto link style), but insert a spring between the ligature and the reed (study through the different strengths of the springs).

Happy reed/mouthpiece destruction !

NB: On the side lines, I also wondered if a thin metal blade could be used as a reed ? Which metal works best ?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Use a reed case as a ligature.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
I don't believe a "regular lig" can be a control, because first you'd have to establish whether the regular lig was the best one for that mouthpiece. For me a better control would be holding the reed on with your hand. Otherwise what can be proven, or even shown to be of interest? Different ligatures work with different mouthpieces. Is the table flat or concave? Does the ligature pressure come from the middle, sides, front, back?

This has been done before, and very well presented so I would advise if it is done agian to rethink those parameters a bit and look a bit more beyond "regular lig" as a control.

·
28,947 Posts
Rubber “O” rings. DAVE
I've used cable ties very successfully, gaffa tape. whatever...as long as the reed is held properly it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
1. Velcro! Easy on/off. (half joking on this one)
2. Someone a few years ago was promoting using a length of string and wrapping it around the reed/mouthpiece many times until it covered an inch or so of the reed end.
3. Heat shrink tubing would definitely work but be careful on hard rubber or plastic pieces. It comes in a lot of cool colors too. https://www.bing.com/images/search?...56B1AA8E516C684B09709249058736F5D&FORM=IQFRBA

·
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't believe a "regular lig" can be a control, because first you'd have to establish whether the regular lig was the best one for that mouthpiece. For me a better control would be holding the reed on with your hand. Otherwise what can be proven, or even shown to be of interest? Different ligatures work with different mouthpieces. Is the table flat or concave? Does the ligature pressure come from the middle, sides, front, back?

This has been done before, and very well presented so I would advise if it is done agian to rethink those parameters a bit and look a bit more beyond "regular lig" as a control.
You're overthinking this video a bit ;)

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
'Gaffa tape'? Oh, 'gaffer tape'. Are you sure you used genuine gaffer tape? That stuff is not very prevalent. Maybe you used duct tape.

·
14,268 Posts
AddictedToSax: FYI . . . String ligatures are a LONG-TIME, well-known accepted method of attaching a reed to a mouthpiece. I recently bought a new Yamaha German-system clarinet and the included Yamaha mouthpiece had grooves on the outside to aid in the application of the string.

It just wasn’t someone advocating wrapping string around the reed and mouthpiece . . . it is an age-old method.

I added rubber O-rings above merely to ensure they were included in any study about temporary ligatures. Yes, there are many ways to do it. DAVE

·
28,947 Posts
'Gaffa tape'? Oh, 'gaffer tape'. Are you sure you used genuine gaffer tape? That stuff is not very prevalent. Maybe you used duct tape.
Sorry yes I misspelled it. The tape we use for taping cables to floors etc. Duct tape is not as good

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Put the mouthpiece in the ocean for a week or two. Some barnacles should attach themselves to the reed.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Dave - love the videos man! Hilarious every single time :p

Also...... hot/super glue a reed to the table of a piece? Too much??

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Well the classic "in a pinch" material is baling wire.
Other possibilities:
A piece of radiator or heater hose.
Rubber worms from the bait shop (scent optional).
I'd love to see how an actual night crawler works.
Gummy worms.
Licorice.
A Band-Aid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts