Sax on the Web Forum banner

NEED YOUR COMMENT, soon! :)

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  ricadh 
#1 ·
Please give ur comment about our performance.. Thank u so much..!

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Wow, great stuff! I love the passion you play with, so much fire there. I really liked the very original interpretation of that tune, which is normally played as a ballad.

As far as things to consider working on:
- Ricad, it sounded like you were having some problems hitting the changes in quite a few parts of your solo. I would maybe spend some time practicing soloing over the tune *only* playing chord tones. I'd also start playing out of the Charlie Parker Omnibook, maybe even memorizing some of the solos, or at least learning to sing along with them. I'm no bebop fanatic, but I personally think that to be able to play modern jazz, you really do have to have that bebop sound deep in your ears. Also, your piano player seems to have a good grasp on soloing within the changes, so perhaps you could get his feedback.
- I'd also maybe be a bit more subtle with the way you scoop/bend your notes. Maybe bend few notes, and when you do bend them, do so more subtly/less obviously. Assuming you agree, this would take some practice to get used to, but I think it would make you sound a lot more professional.
- As for the band, I'd say that I think that the bass player and the drummer should really think about really locking into eachother's groove. Maybe if they made more eye contact, that would help. At times it sort of felt like they were each in their own world when they should be moving as a single unit.
- Overall, I think that the band could use some more dynamics. The tune was basically loud the whole way through, so you might want to experiment with different volumes at different parts of the tune. It doesn't always mean that you have to start soft and end loud. You could maybe quiet down in the middle or wherever. I think that point is to tell a story, and the intensity of the band is a great way to do that.

Anyhow, I really hope you don't mind my advice, since it's only my opinion, and the point is, you sound awesome. I think that with some more practice and experience, you guys could do some really great things.

Congratulations!
Thank u so much sir.. My friend tell me like what u tell to me.. It's about Chordal solo.. Your advice is same like my frend's. It's helping me to much better than this..

Discussion starter · #20 ·
I agree with most of what dorono said. Would just add that while it shows that all of you have studied jazz and western music in general, you have a great music tradition in your own country that could be the basis for improvisation. Rather than copying very old "standards" that generally have no relevance (even for most western audiences) you have a fantastic resource of your own culture to draw from. The last thing the world needs is another jazz group that plays standards. What could make all of us sit up and take notice would be a jazz interpretation of your Gamelan tradition.
I think, I must play the jazz standard for the basic. We think, this is our first step to find a new concept in our group. We will not only play standard (swing, bebob, bossa, latin, etc). We just need more reference to be our basic. For Gamelan, that's many groups in Indonesia play that music. For example Balinese Gamelan, Javanese Gamelan, Sundanese Gamelan or Angklung, but we can't play that. It's too hard to combine Slendro and pelog scale to Diatonic scale. We just wanna show that we can play better that jazz music. And it's our idealism.. Maybe someday we'll show up our traditional music..

Correct me if I wrong..

Anyway, thank u all for seeing my video.. Next I'll post that must better than this one..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.