Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I need a in-your-face mouthpiece that is very assertive, edgy, strong and warm WITHOUT BEING PIERCING. I like edge a lot, but I want to make it clear that I do not like the kind of edge that is very shrill and feels like a needle is being poked in your ear. I do not want something that is smooth and mellow, I want a cutting-edge sound. I currently have a no-name mouthpiece that has this sound, but I am looking for a brand name mouthpiece I can depend on.

I just ordered the vandoren jumbo java a45 to try out. Any other suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
On tenor you could try a Vandoren jumbo java blue . When it is freeblowing for the player the throat can open up and darken the sound. Check out Robert Stewart at www.therobertstewartexperience.com. He is Wynton Marsalis tenor saxophone player and plays a T45 java blue. Robert Stewart uses a Bari medium plastic reed on his T45.

sound clips here:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/rstewart

I have a T55 jumbo java blue for sale if you are interested in the mouthpiece for sale section.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Good luck! I don't think ANY mouthpiece does it ALL, but I could be wrong. I've been a pro player since 1970, and use three different mouthpieces for different gigs. One is loud and bright, one is soft and dark, and the other one is in the middle.

·
Registered
496 Posts
if you already have a mouthpiece that gets this sound, don't change it. Some times you get real lucky with "no name" mouthpieces, I have on that I compare to a meyer 6m and it only costs 15 buck, but the thing with no name mouthpieces is that they are real inconsistant. Good luck. I do agree with the other posters on this, if you are going get one go with the jumbo java, if you need more go with a v16.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A piece that i would suggest is an early babbit hard rubber link. These mouthpieces are extremely flexible and all you have to do is change the way you put air through it to get a number of different sounds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Ponzol HR Custom

I carry these and actually have one one hand. Ponzol states that they have the warmth of HR, but the power of a metal. I play an m2 and the HR custom looks like a HR M2 piece.

·
1,404 Posts
Try an RPC Rollover. Check out what Ron says on his website about "edge" and the contemporary sound.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Yazzman said:
I need a in-your-face mouthpiece that is very assertive, edgy, strong and warm WITHOUT BEING PIERCING.

I currently have a no-name mouthpiece that has this sound, but I am looking for a brand name mouthpiece I can depend on.
Your description fits an RPC perfectly. Probably one with the baffle would give you the edge you want.

But I have to ask, if you already have a "no-name mpc that has this sound," why not use it? Who cares what name it has if it does the job. OTOH, if you're wondering whether you can get this sound with better response and even improve on it, then that makes sense. Try an RPC.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"But I have to ask, if you already have a "no-name mpc that has this sound," why not use it? Who cares what name it has if it does the job."

two people here said the same thing and my answer to that is it is literally a no-name mouthpiece with no brand on it; what if I lose it one day or something happens to it, I will have to struggle to find one that sounds like it. I want to find one that sounds like it or better right now so I wont ever have to worry about replacing it etc.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
JL said:
Your description fits an RPC perfectly. Try an RPC.
What he said. It's a great piece that has exactly the characteristics you describe. Call Ron now!:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, it looks like the RPC with the big baffle is somethig like $280 bucks. there is no way I can buy that right now, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
If you post a picture of your no-name mpc some here might be able to help identify it. there are a few manufacturers who have some design clues.

·
1,404 Posts
Since price seems like a big factor, Jumbo Java and Berg Larsen are pretty good options, but an RPC will blow circles around them. They usually sell used for about $175 to $225.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I gotta go with a morgan. I have a 9E that has edge and warmth as well as a 7EL that has warmth and edge. I would say give them a go.

·
1,404 Posts
Morgan's 8EL is one of the best mouthpieces I've ever played. It is warm and assertive, has good projection, and a big dark tone that gets bright when you push it, but it is not really "in your face" or "edgy" the way an RPC is.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Yazzman said:
wow, it looks like the RPC with the big baffle is somethig like $280 bucks. there is no way I can buy that right now, any other suggestions?
Keep using the one you have now until you save a few bucks....?

I understand you wanting another mpc in case something happens to your "no-name" piece. I actually bought a second RPC for the same reason. The second one turned out better than the first one, though. Even if you could identify your mpc and order another one just like it, you might not get exactly the same thing. Anyway, compared to the price of almost any metal mpc, the RPC is a real bargain, not to mention it outperforms any other mpc I've tried. But I definitely haven't tried them all. A Morgan actually might be a good option, but from what I've heard about Morgans, you may not get the edge you are looking for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Yazzman said:
The Saxscape Uptown NF fills the bill for me, although the $250 price tag probably won't work for you. But for $100, you can get a Springer Roll-over Tenor (springermpc.com). I've played the 095 and 105. As advertised, both came finished roughly, but they were on spec where it matters and they played great. Some other brand mouthpieces in that price range are horribly lacking in quality control.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts