Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can someone give me an evaluation on what this saxophone would be worth? It was handed down to me by my uncle and was used very little between him an me. I've done some research and I'm pretty sure it's a 1961-1962 model. The last pic shows the serial is 212199.

2015-10-02 13.35.44.jpg
2015-10-02 13.33.49.jpg .
2015-10-02 13.31.07.jpg
2015-10-02 13.28.37.jpg

Thanks so much!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
I'd guess 1500-1700. They are really strange in that I don't know how to tell them from regular Martin other than "Music Man"

·
Registered
846 Posts
Realistically, it looks pretty scratched up and probably needs new pads, so I'd guess it'd sell more in the $1250 range.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
There really is nothing else different about them. I have both a tenor and an alto. So I have watched them fairly regularly on Ebay.

A couple things I can tell or strongly suspect from the pics is that it is original lacquer and probably original pads. My tenor has the original pads that are still soft. However if I were to try to sell it that would be a negative as the originals don't have resonators. Martins have crappy lacquer and this one appears pretty nice. I'm going to give it a bit lower value. It would need new pads to get the top of the range. 800-1300.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,367 Posts
Yes, I think Raph's price was meant to be for one which has been serviced and plays up and down.

Assuming yours has not, then around $800-1200 is probably pretty accurate.

May I say something ?

If this has been in your family, and really it looks to be in pretty good vintage shape, based on what you have shown us......is there anyone in your family who might wish to start sax ? Son, daughter, nephew, niece, etc ?

I mean, it is VERY cool and not common when such a top-shelf model horn has been in one family for a long time. As it's liquidation value would only be what has been mentioned above....perhaps it is more valuable to keep in the family ?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I offered the same advice as JayePDX to a Unity minister I know who has one from 1947 although there are collectors over on the Facebook Martin group who would appreciate that this one looks to have the original pads. I'll post a link over there.

Also, from the FB group info, Martin was the supplier of instruments for the movie Music Man. Hence the name. True or false??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,780 Posts
A Music Man is nothing but a regular 'The Martin' with 'Official Music Man Model' electro-engraved on the bell band. If you're looking for a player, don't pay the extra because there's no point in it.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
If those pads are still soft and seal decently, then a good tech can install flat resonators on them in place of the center rivet to make them more modern and give them extra resonance. If you want to do that that is. Some people like those old pads and rivets and for a collector they are a plus if the pads still function. My Conn Chu Soprano came with all the original white lambskin pads but only a few were still any good. I wish it had been the other way around because they really looked cool and if they had been still good would have given it added value.....1928 pads.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Also, from the FB group info, Martin was the supplier of instruments for the movie Music Man. Hence the name. True or false??
Technically yes, as RMC (made up of Martin, Blessing, and Reynolds) was.
This Flute ( http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/Flutes/ElkhartMakers/10104/MusicManFlute.html ) was used in it, and I saw a Martin Indiana Trombone on ebay with similar markings on it before.
Also in this thread Bruce Bailey says that they used Reynolds in the movie: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?65586-Reynolds-Musicman-on-Ebay-Martin

As for the Sax, it should play as well as any Committee, and sell between Jaye's low end and Instrumentattic's estimate probably.
MartinMusicMan on here has had the Tenor version of this since new.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,367 Posts
If those pads are still soft and seal decently, then a good tech can install flat resonators on them in place of the center rivet to make them more modern and give them extra resonance.
Not to digress the thread but......have you actually had a tech do that.....or know of someone who has ?

Because that would seem to be a very laborious task...likely to come out more expensive than just having the horn repadded, IMHO.

I mean, a new resonator would have to be attached to the rivet or penetrate through the old pad in order for the attachment to be sound.

It is hard enough, time consuming enough, and hassle enough just to refloat existing pads. To actually retrofit something to them, though ?

Actually install resos into existing pads ?

I guess I do not see any advantage to that, either monetarily or performance-wise.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Not to digress the thread but......have you actually had a tech do that.....or know of someone who has ?

Because that would seem to be a very laborious task...likely to come out more expensive than just having the horn repadded, IMHO.

I mean, a new resonator would have to be attached to the rivet or penetrate through the old pad in order for the attachment to be sound.

It is hard enough, time consuming enough, and hassle enough just to refloat existing pads. To actually retrofit something to them, though ?

Actually install resos into existing pads ?

I guess I do not see any advantage to that, either monetarily or performance-wise.

Just my 2 cents....
Actually I was just guessing. Thank your for correcting my inexpert DIYers idea. I was just imagining one could just glue the new flat resonators in place over the existing pad and rivet. Clearly there is more to it than that, which you as an expert know about and I who have never repadded a sax know little. I'll check my hypotheses first with information first before saying something ignorant like this again. Pls excuse the fumducker's mistake.

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,188 Posts
"The Music Man" is one of those limited edition horns that collectors can be very interested in. Here's a respected site that provides background
http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/models-music-man.php

Condition will be a factor, however, because they are hard to find, I've seen altos in excellent condition go for as high as $2400.00.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoa... thank you all for your feedback!

I played this horn in middle school and loved it, then shoved it back in the case once I hit high school and saxophone-ing became 'uncool' for a teenage girl. :)
It's sat in that case for the past 20ish years. If I keep it, it'll probably go back in the case for another 20 years... it's such a beautiful instrument, it NEEDS to be played.

I did have a local music store owner look at it and he said that it does need some new pads (he didn't say whether they're all original or not)... he quoted me about $100-$150 for the work.
I definitely think I'll look into selling it... my kids can't eat a saxophone. Haha.
Any suggestions on the best places to find interested buyers? Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts