Sax on the Web Forum banner

need to upgrade a saxophone

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  CarlHeanerd 
#1 ·
hello forum readers... I am planning to upgrade into a much better alto saxophone and soprano saxophone... my price range would be around 2000 and max would be 2500 usd.. with that price range can i get a brand new pro saxophone? or just second hand?

please take your time to answer my noob question... your answer will greatly help me.. need much better horn guyz.. :)

#3 ·
I can play both but I use the alto saxophone more... I am just a noob... I sing in a band and I decided to learn the saxophone. So now I am both singing and playing the sax as well. I am looking to upgrade my alto first for I usually use it more on our gigs and the upgrade the soprano later when I have enough savings.. I really like this instrument and I am going to continue my study thats why I was thinking of upgrading my saxophone.

#5 ·
@stuckond

the saxophone that I am using now is an odyssey saxophone which I bought from a seaman.. and a hermes mouthpiece... heard anything about this brand? the music that i play with my saxophone are some of my bands repertoire.. it contains a mixed of genre like, blues, rock, pop, rnb... I just play a little bit for I am just a newbie in saxophone..

#13 ·
I'll just keep MHO to modern saxophones as it seems you would like a new one. Martinm suggestion of the yamaha 62 is a great one. I'm loving Yanagisawas right now and love the suggestion of the Yani 991 line. If you happen to have smaller hands (I don't), people tend to feel comfortable right away on the 991s. SAXFORTE has the 901 Yani posted on his site for just over $2100 brand spanking new. That's a heck of a horn, so don't let the incorrect "Intermediate" lable frighten you. I also own an Antigua Soprano, and think they make a fine sax. Always play different horns before you buy if possible, but if not, I had great luck dealing with Kessler and Sons and never have had any negative feelings with my Antigua I got from them. Cannonball also makes a sturdy horn, and worth your time to look at. Another option is always to spend another year on your current horn and put a few more $$ together and buy almost anything you want! The price range you are in WILL buy you one fine horn that'll last you for many years of great and memerable gigs! Good luck!

#14 ·
If that price range is for one saxophone (i.e. alto or soprano) rather than for two, then you have a wide choice of either new or used saxophones. Used can be a better value. There are innumerable threads on here debating the merits of vintage v. modern, european v. asian, new v. used, etc.

#15 ·
@stuckond

I came across the music shop selling antigua saxophone maybe i will go again to the shop and try one of them! Theres also a yamaha shop here in penang malaysia where i am right now and a yamaha shop too.. There is no yanni brands here and barone and selmer!I have been here for 21days already and those are the shops so far that i saw. I'll try to check the antigua shop tommorrow to see what model they have... I will keep you guys updated...

#18 ·
I recommend the Phil Barone Classic, the Yamaha YAS 62 (preferably the original version), and the Selmer Series II. Go for used if you can. They're all great horns, I personally love the Series II.

For sopranos, again, Phil's horns come to mind. Selmer sopranos can be fiddly and are expensive, but I do like the Series III. Bahaus Walstein have a good repute. Personally, unless you're a soprano-focused professional, I'd go with a less expensive Taiwanese / Chinese option.

I'd upgrade the mouthpiece too. It seems a Meyer 5M is a good option for you, they're good at covering a wide gamut of sounds for many genres.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.