Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up sax for the first time in 10 years and even the first time around I wasn't very good. I am feeling very self-conscious and don't want the neighbours hearing the racquet I'm going to need to make on a regular basis. The neighbours aren't too close but this house and all surrounding houses are old, fibro with no noise-retaining qualities at all. I know you can get some sort've mute which is a bag that goes over your sax and hands but I don't think this is the right solution for me. I'm wondering if there's any techniques anyone knows for turning their volume down when practicing... the thought crossed my mind that maybe a piece of fabric stuffed down the bell might help but I'm not sure if that would also change the pitch of notes and if it did I guess it would probably confuse me more than anything.

So, if anyone has any cheap and nasty, but effective, ideas for turning down the volume please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Hi Rattler

I use one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Maestro-...ryZ41778QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's OK in that it shaves a few decibels off the overall sound, it does alter pitch slightly but I find it hard to tell the difference. My low Bb and B wont speak with it in so I have to work around that.

I'm lucky that I am in a double brick house but I also dont play after 7.30pm, I got myself a keyboard to mess around with after then working on chords etc. I have wondered about building a timber box to aim the horn into lined with that foam egg crate stuff.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
Do you happen to have a walk-in closet? If so, walk in and play into the clothes rack (assuming it's full of clothes). That will dampen the sound considerably. If you don't have a walk-in, you can just open the closet door and play into it. The only problem is, your horn will sound pretty "dead" to you and it won't be near as much fun as playing against a hard surface. But it will cut way down on the decibels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts