Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have a 1923ish Couturier LaPorte Soprano Saxophone, restored, excellent condition, plays beautifully, but I find myself in a financial bind thanks to a dental issue I had. I would prefer not to sell it as I happened upon it totally by accident but I don't have much choice, I'm completely out of options at the moment.

I have it listed for $1350 on Ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/112024105285?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 and would prefer to sell it outright for roughly $1500 (the price of my bill) if I had to, but although I have between 5 and 7 watchers most people are interested in an antique soprano Selmer and a few others currently listed.

I haven't made enough posts here to post in the merchant section from what I'm understanding. Does anyone have any other ideas other than a consignment?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
There's some of the local sales apps. Craiglist, Wallapop, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have things posted on Craigslist but I'm in a small area so most of it is getting ignored. I don't have the ability to use Wallapop though, nothing to use aps with. X_X

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't have the ability to use Wallapop though, nothing to use aps with. X_X
And you don't have any friends in the area that could list it for you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, no. Most of my friends live in other states or countries or they don't have smart phones either. I'm in a rather small town.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Unfortunately, no. Most of my friends live in other states or countries or they don't have smart phones either. I'm in a rather small town.
I think your best option at this point would be to go post in the forums to reach 50 posts and then list it here.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
There are several pages on facebook where saxes and other related items are sold. I have sold several mouthpieces on them. I have not sold any horns, but a lot of nice ones have been sold there.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,656 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum:) I wish you the best luck with your sale, but I'll give you a little bit of the low down on selling saxes.

Unless you have a desirable make and model (like a vintage Selmer, King, Conn etc...), which unfortunately you don't, saxophones can be very tough to sell and can take a good amount of time to move. Even horns like Martin Committees which are much more common than yours are tough to move now a days.

Also as far as price go, you can ask what ever you would like for your horn, but the chances of you getting $1500 for that horn are very small IMO. There is a King Soprano on the forum right now from 1923 and it's listed at $450 and still hasn't sold. Anyway, I'm not trying to be negative, and I'm not sure of the exact market value of your horn, but I would bet you may get $300 - $600 for that horn in the market today if you auctioned it off on eBay.

It does look nice and someone may just be looking for one and you'll get the $1300 or so! I hope that's the case, but I've been buying and selling old saxes for years and unfortunately the market just isn't what it used to be:(

My advice would be to keep the horn since you like it so much and just pay the debt off on a credit card over 4-6 months. That way you get to keep something you love. I wish you the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was actually going by some prices I got off of another thread here and past ebay posts and paying things that way isn't possible, my bill is on a carecredit already. Thank you though. I did however edit the price and lower it somewhat. Thanks. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
did you try Reverb yet to sell or buy, they seem very fair.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
did you try Reverb yet to sell or buy, they seem very fair.
Has anybody bought off of Reverb yet? It would be nice to have another option for buying instruments.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,656 Posts
I've used reverb too. Good platform and legit. Worth it IMO.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
Bozman, I went looking for some but most of the ones I'm seeing are in the UK?
There is Saxophonists, Saxophones and Saxophone Equipment for Sale, Saxophone Equipment and Sax On The Web. All are US based as far as I know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Like others have said, I'd go for selling it on here. It's a great place to buy/sell and there are a lot of knowledgeable and honest people here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts