Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to host a Jazz radio program. As it is in Canada I need to have 30% Canadian content. I know a few Jazz groups like Kollage and of course there are notable legends like Oscar Peterson. Overall I don't have much in the way of Canadian Jazz in my collection as I tend to listen to Hard Bop (especially the Blue Note recordings) as well as BeBop and Swing. At any rate, If any one here has some suggestions that will help me meet quotas for CanCon, a list of recorded artists and bands, that be most helpful. Note I want to stay away from fusion or "Jazz inspired" music. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
I don't know many Canadian jazz musicians, so this will be an interesting thread to watch.

Diana Krall comes to mind, and she had Stanley Turrentine on at least one CD.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great. Gonna make a list. I think I can get away with performances that were also recorded in Canada, for example I have Charlie Parker Montreal 1953 recorded at the Chez Paree.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don't know many Canadian jazz musicians, so this will be an interesting thread to watch.

Diana Krall comes to mind, and she had Stanley Turrentine on at least one CD.
Of course you don't know any Canadian jazz musicians because they are all hiding in their igloos and trapping beavers.
Geez, where ya been?? There so many fine Canadian jazz musicians from past and present.
Here's a link to a list if you care to check them out. Cheers eh!

https://www.canadajazz.net/

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pat LaBarbera, Mike Murley, Mike Tremblay, Mark Ferguson, Petr Cancura, Sam Kirmayer, Oliver Jones, Dave Young

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Paul Desmond recorded several live recordings at Bourbon Street with Toronto musicians, notably Ed Bickert.
Oliver Jones and Paul Bley are from Montreal.
Pat Labarbara has a Canadian passport.
Gil Evans was born in Toronto, fwiw.

The whole Live at the Senator recording of Mike Murley, Ed Bickert, and Steve Wallace is lovely.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
P.J. Perry, Campbell Ryga, Tara Davidson, Moe Koffman, Allison Au, Kelly Jefferson, Allison Young, NOJO, John Macleod and The Rex Hotel Orchestra, Lorne Lofsky, David Braid, David Occhipinti, Ian McDougall, Paul Cram, Guido Basso, Don Thompson, Barry Elms, Alex Dean, Ted Quinlan, Shawn Nyquist, Reg Schwager, Mark Eisenman, Phil Dwyer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, thanks all. Gonna start doing my homework here. A lot of those names I'm starting to remember. Not sure if they all recorded, glad to find Charlie Biddle did, I use to go down to his Jazz jam nights at his club in Montreal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Of course you don't know any Canadian jazz musicians because they are all hiding in their igloos and trapping beavers.
Geez, where ya been?? There so many fine Canadian jazz musicians from past and present.
Here's a link to a list if you care to check them out. Cheers eh!

https://www.canadajazz.net/
Cheers! (and Thank You!)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts