Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is looking to upgrade his tenor before heading off to college in September (where he'll be attending on a partial music scholarship). He has a YTS-23 right now. We've called places all over the Colorado front range to try to find someone with any selection, so he can try out various horns. A store in Windsor was recommended, but the proprietor appears to be having health problems, so we haven't actually been able to talk to him. (On paper, it sounded like a great choice however). One of the biggest music stores in Denver, which we thought would have some choices, had nothing but student horns. Does anyone here have recommendations for places within a few hours drive of Denver that we could try that might have a couple of choices for my son to try? We've found on higher end Yamaha for my son to try out in Longmont, and in Fort Collins we found one Yanagisawa. His teacher has recommended a few brands to try out, but I really don't want to have to mail order, and then return (if the store will let us) if he doesn't like it.

Thanks,

Kay

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have you asked Greg Laliberte? He has a repair and teaching studio in his home in Boulder--he might know of players selling an instrument or can tell you where to look. Very nice man and very knowledgeable. Or Tom Myer, the saxophone prof. at C.U.. He might know of postings in the music college there with horns for sale.....Hope this helps if you haven't already tried these things!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg has repaired my son's sax, and found a vintage one for a friend of his, but doesn't seem to have a selection to try out. Tom Myer recommended my son's private teacher, (he's very nice, and also married to my son's old middle school band teacher) but he just recommended the store in Windsor. When we tried contacting Sax Alley in Windsor, we got a reply e-mail indicating the owner just had heart surgery, so isn't a real option right now.

I did find a store in Colorado Springs (Graner music) that appears to have at least some selection. Anyone know whether they'd be worth a 2.5 hour drive to check out? Also, any recommendations in Greeley? I know the school there has a large music program, so thought they's have at least one decent instrument store.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
I spoke with Tim Glesmann of Sax Alley on Saturday. He seems to be doing fine right now. I'd try to give him a call again. Tim may have some saxes on consignment that would be great step ups. He is truly the most knowledgeable tech in the front range. He's a super nice fellow also. I purchased 2 horns from him last spring. I'm getting ready to send 2 horns to him for setup. I'm hoping to get the horns to him on about the 20th. He said he's backed up about 3 weeks on setups right now. Good luck!

·
Banned
182 Posts
www.saxalley.com

Tim Glessman is located just a outside Denver metro.. He always has a great selection of horns to choose from..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts