Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
Im intending to buy a sax (alto). Used or new one is good!
But Id like a cheap one!!!
Im from Vietnam- Asia!!!
Thanks a lot if you can share on me any thinkings.:|

·
Registered
472 Posts
What's your budget?

Are you starting to learn or can you play and just new on SOTW?

Hue is a big city, well over a million people so there must be sax players and teachers. I'd be seeking their advice on buying locally. For a beginner to buy on ebay may be problematic unless you're buying new and that may be beyond your budget.

I was in a music shop in HCM city a few weeks back, just down the street from Ben Thanh and they had a very nice used King alto for $400 US (asking price for a westerner!). Your bargaining skills would get it for somewhat less. It's a long way to travel from Hue, but there would be plenty of good music stores in HCM.

About the same distance along Le Loi in the opposite direction there is a jazz club most nights that's worth visiting for inspiration.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
Welcome, Lin.

Corsair had some good questions which would help.

Are you already a sax player or are you just learning ?

What kind of music do you want to play ?

How much can you spend on a saxophone ?

One can often find an Alto sax for anywhere from $200 - $2000 and more....and they can be brand-new, or vintage/used.

You can buy a very bad horn for $275.

You can buy a very good horn for $275.

You can buy a horrible horn for $1500.

You can buy a great horn for $1500.

As Corsair also mentioned, if you are not a player already... you need to be careful about buying used online (not that I am suggesting anything is wrong with Dave's horn...it was just a general warning is all).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
best if you can test as many horns as possible. if possible, go with an experienced player.
I am from Singapore. let me know if you need help.
dun forget to set aside a budget for a good mouthpiece.
Yamaha is always a good horn to start with, depending on your budget.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!!!

Im so glad when receiving your great advices! Thank you everyone!!!
I have the same ideas with you all that there are many risks when buying some things online without experiences.

Fortunately, I bought an alto saxophone already, a silver one, made in Taiwan.
I've just started to play sax. Hope you guys can help me.

Im practicing Vibrato. Can you guys show me the way to do that, please! (or give me the links)
Thank you a lot!!!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
There are so many ways to play a saxophone in the wrong way. You really should find a local teacher. The longer you can take these lessons, the better, but even if you only end up taking lessons only for 2 months it will help you tremendously and prevent you from going in some wrong directions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts