Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good mornin all. O.K....I really need to settle on one mpc. All dental work complete, i am wanting an exaggerated scoop/duckbill. Last week i had it narrowed down. F.L." Specteroso " is out. Wrong dimensions. Plus F.L. do not give a lig with it....nooo way! Runyon " Quantum "....still top contender. Ponzol? I love the look, but is that bill as slim as it looks. I really am torn between these last two. Runyon i can have in a coupla daze. Please Ponzol players....what is the lowdown. I will buy from SOTW marketplace, and wait. If i can get a little more feed back. Thanks for listening...have a great day....a

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
Ponzols are really good playing pieces,but are far from an "extreme duckbill". Especially when compared to something like a Quantum. I'd say that the metal Ponzols have a pretty average bite compared to most metal pieces.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bozman...kinda hard to judge from pics. I really dont think i will do better than a quantum. Any last opinions welcome...thanks...a

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I wouldn't call it a scoop or duckbill, but the Morgan Excalibur has a slender and low bite profile.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man...will check it. Strangley was looking at Pete Thomas' mpcs. I think they look just a little " too much "...oh maaan...a

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
Thanks man...will check it. Strangley was looking at Pete Thomas' mpcs. I think they look just a little " too much "...oh maaan...a
I'm quite sure Pete's mpcs would blow away a Quantum, although he said recently they aren't available at the moment. I had a metal Quantum for a while. It was very loud, but way too bright, almost shrill. However, a larger tip might have solved that.

Another good option would be an RPC. HR, but with a fairly low profile. But they're handmade and you won't get one overnight, unless you find a used one. Best not to be in a hurry....or get a Quantum for now, then start a serious search?

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks so much guys.....on a real live computer here, dogsitting. anyhow jl...apologies for lower case; yeah. i think a quantum for now 8.... in time i will find something real nice. the metal king 8 i am playing right now is not at all bad. never seen one before. nor a lamberson, though i have heard the dd is a r and b killer. great talkin...and thankyou.any last mins..have a cool evenim
g

n

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
As JL mentioned a RPC would be great for you...and I just happen to have a "like new" one for sale!

Really, PM me if interested.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
You know, you could probably duckbill just about any hard rubber mouthpiece you choose. Refacers would do it for you I'm sure.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was thinkin that Pete, it would work i am sure. I have a late sixties hr Berg here that in time, i might just do that. I really dont wanna rush into it. This cash, though frugal, is aside to buy a mpc. A quantum...$200 Max. Randy...man my e mail is down...i could....ok....will pm....thanks all goodnight....a

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
As JL mentioned a RPC would be great for you...and I just happen to have a "like new" one for sale!

Really, PM me if interested.
I do too, lol. I have three of them and only need two (one, plus a backup). PM me too... maybe we can get in a bidding war. :) not really...

But RPM vs Quantum. No contest. That's like a Rolls Royce (the RPM) vs a VW (and I mean the old VW like I had back in the '70s).

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mornin all. Pms sent guys. My first thought today...forget it. Wait for the right Berg. Played an offset fatboy for a long time. Man...i am so out of touch. Back in the day, the guys used to keep mpcs in a drawer. Open, look, play. If you found your thing agree a price, or throw in a replacement mpc of similar value. I can see these pencil thin Bergs...scooped. A " Charlie Ventura" i remember. Probably cost the same as a small car now. Man,....gonna check out Rons site. I know his mpcs have a superb reputation. Is that beak slim enough?....have a great day all. I will hold off buying until Mon....latest. Please keep it comin....a

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man, i got a payday...aint that a thing. Straight to it...i am gonna buy a quantum. It will do just fine; i can find that Berg in time. Thanks for the offers guys. The £...is in a bad way; shipping, tax...wait time. I really appreciate all your help. Thanks Steve, that Link comparison...great. I am going for a h.r.8...maybe 9. I use bari reeds only, so may change the lig. It comes with a rovner type. Never much cared for them. Standard USA...i reckon will be fine. E mail back up...( [email protected] a great day....a

1 - 15 of 15 Posts