Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm using Yamaha 875EX soprano and Selmer S80 C* (with Vandoren Traditional #3) or Vandoren S27 (with Vandoren Traditional #4) for classical playings. And I would like to buy a soprano mouthpiece that's good for playing pop songs, any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I like the Yamahas too and actually the standard 4C or 5C more than the customs. Try a Selmer Super Session. Very nice but a bit expensive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
I stopped searching for another mouthpiece years back after stumbling on the Selmer Paris Classical metal (D) mouthpiece.
Good for both classical & pop.
if possible, test out as many mouthpieces as possible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
After trying a range of tip openings and designs, I have settled on the Yamaha 5C which can be used for any type of music. But it is probably not too different from the Selmer S80 C* you have, just a little wider. The key element that makes a mouthpiece a Jazz mouthpiece is YOU.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Love the Selmer Super Sessions. I play an "I" for 3 years now with my Yani 991. Also, the Yanagisawa Metals on Soprano are great. Prior to that, I played a Selmer C** for 35 years on soprano which are quite versatile.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I play mainly on a Yanagisawa Metal #7. I also have a Yamaha 4C. I love them both. The Yamaha 4C is somewhat mellow and the Yana Metal gives a little more edge. and there fore more appropriate for pop songs IMHO. I use the Yamaha when I'm more in a mellow mood (which I'm usually not).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I use my ceramic Drake Jazz .055 for all around use, and my Rovner Deep V metal 6* for pop/rock/funk/modern.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts