Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our band is fortunately staying busy with wedding receptions, reunions and privates parties. We have more than ample music for the 40-70 year old age crowds. No problem there keeping them on the dance floor. And for the most part we have enough more recent songs to satisfy the newly married couples and their young friends. We have two male singers. No female singer.

However, I am trying to get our band to move forward a little and learn a few "newer" hits . Ones that the young people will enjoy and identify with. Songs within the last 10-15 years that are (Top 40) good "dance" songs, both slow and fast.

Need some suggestions when anyone has time and I will check them on Youtube. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,896 Posts
John, you might try tracking down some bands playing corporate/wedding gigs using Google. Many of them publish their song lists as part of their marketing materials. Might give you a good idea of what's being played in the demographic you're looking for. Also try booking agencies and wedding planners, many of them have links to commercial bands as well. Just do searches for "wedding band" and stuff like that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There is atune called Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars (not the Barry White/Billy Joel tune). The single is a mainly electronic affair but live he plays it with a horn section and band and the arrangement is great. People really like it too. If you like I have a recording from UK radio of the arrangement. I can email it to you.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,194 Posts
Just turn on the local top radio station in your area and keep it on every where you drive. You can pick yourself. I led a wedding band for about 6 months. I never listened to Top 40 before that and I never listened to it after (except now that my teen daughters want to hear it). But when I was in that wedding band I would listen to to the radio constantly and every week I would send the band a couple new songs to learn that were modern hits. It's a pain because some are here today gone tomorrow but it's worth it when a room is a bit dead or dying and then you play one of them and everyone goes bonkers. If I was still in that band we would most likely be doing "On the Edge of Glory" and "Last Friday Night" because those are big big hits but they are female leads so......... I bet my girls could give me a top 5 list that a band should be doing. (They know every song on the radio)

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
There is atune called Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars (not the Barry White/Billy Joel tune). The single is a mainly electronic affair but live he plays it with a horn section and band and the arrangement is great. People really like it too. If you like I have a recording from UK radio of the arrangement. I can email it to you.
Here it is

Thanks for that, great to see a top 40 song with a horn section. Shades of mowtown in his style, Great stuff

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the suggestions and will keep the radio on and will take a look at the song lists for the Atlanta area bands. Seems to be a lot of good dance music on the radio for female singers. Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It might sound lame, but lift some ideas/arrangements from Glee. Most of the songs are covers (sometimes of older songs like Don't Stop Believing) but they do have a pretty broad pop-y kind of audience. Some that we do in an "Entertainment Co." band I've been subbing with are things like Rehab (Amy Winehouse), Forget you (Glee Version), Poker Face, Dynamite, Come on Eileen (SKA style).. Just stuff I remember off the top of my head...

Like a lot of people have been saying, listen to the top 40s station, and pick stuff out that you like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts