Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm in desperate need of a mouthpiece. My playing is getting much better, and my Yamaha 4C is holding back my playing/sound.

My teacher got me a SR Tech Pro 115, and I bought it from him. After about a week, we both thought it was a little to hard/stiff for play for me (basically I had to "work to hard" on it), and told me that I should just go hunting around for one.

When I bought my picc recently, WWBW let me ship 3 to my house, and return 2, buying just one. I was hoping to do this for some mouthpieces.

What metal mouthpieces do you guys recommend for me that are "easy to play"?

On a side note, I play 2.5 Vandoren v16's, and play only jazz on sax. And price is not an issue (just not outrageously expensive).

thanks,
opt
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, is it available online?

nevermind I found it, I think I'll check it out, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
opt12 said:
Hey guys,
I'm in desperate need of a mouthpiece. My playing is getting much better, and my Yamaha 4C is holding back my playing/sound.

My teacher got me a SR Tech Pro 115, and I bought it from him. After about a week, we both thought it was a little to hard/stiff for play for me (basically I had to "work to hard" on it), and told me that I should just go hunting around for one.

When I bought my picc recently, WWBW let me ship 3 to my house, and return 2, buying just one. I was hoping to do this for some mouthpieces.

What metal mouthpieces do you guys recommend for me that are "easy to play"?

On a side note, I play 2.5 Vandoren v16's, and play only jazz on sax. And price is not an issue (just not outrageously expensive).

thanks,
opt
If you're going from a Yamaha 4C to a SR Tech 115, that's quite a step up in tip opening. Make sure you're not using too stiff a reed. If you're use to playing on the 4c, you really may want to consider going to something smaller than the 115.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,766 Posts
Don't get anything expensive! You're not ready.

Metal or rubber Link, rubber Meyer or plastic Brilhart. This is the next level up from a stock mouthpiece. If you can't play on those, you can't play. Once you've got your chops up, you'll know what kind of piece is right for you. Until then, don't spend more than $100 on a tenor mouthpiece.

Good luck.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Vandoren V16 HR T7, about $100 new, I got 2 off ebay for $50
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think that I wouldn't be able to play any pro mouthpiece? I've got a very good sound on my current 4C, and my teacher was trying to talk to some pros for recommendations for me. The 115 I tried, I got a nice solid sound on, just the tip was too big. I'm not too keen on getting a mediocre mouthpiece, I want one that will give me a big, pro sound.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
32,949 Posts
opt12 said:
I'm not too keen on getting a mediocre mouthpiece, I want one that will give me a big, pro sound.
The "pro sound" doesn't come from the mouthpiece. :shock: :D

For instance... I was testing a Serie II alto today and saw a Keilwerth "Jazz" mouthpiece in the case pocket. What the heck, I'd never tried one, considered it a student piece, had low expectations... Took it out to give it a blow with a Rico Royal 2.5 that was also in the case. Full sound - took a couple more minutes to adjust my blow to the piece... Huge sound. Filled the room. Fat, sassy, rich... I'm going to go back to give that piece another blow. It works! Better, in fact, than the Selmer "E" and the Ponzol II-V-I that I took for the test drive.

Makes me question whether I really need the Fmaj7 that is coming.

(Those of you that know me are probably saying "Of course you do, you're a gear head.")
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,766 Posts
opt12 said:
Do you think that I wouldn't be able to play any pro mouthpiece? I've got a very good sound on my current 4C, and my teacher was trying to talk to some pros for recommendations for me. The 115 I tried, I got a nice solid sound on, just the tip was too big. I'm not too keen on getting a mediocre mouthpiece, I want one that will give me a big, pro sound.
It's not about "pro" mouthpiece vs. "non-pro" mouthpiece. At your stage of development, you're still searching for your sound and style. I wouldn't buy a "specialised" mouthpiece until you need one. Avoid high-baffle and handmade pieces untill you know what you want. You'll get a big fat "pro sound" after playing the saxophone for years, not by buying an expensive piece of gear.


Nothing wrong with a Link, Brilhart or Meyer. They are indeed professional mouthpieces.

I play a Link on tenor, as do/did Ben Webster, Dexter Gordon ('70s & '80s),Trane, Eric Alexander, Jerry Weldon and hundreds of other pros living and dead.

Brilharts were more common in the '40s, '50s and '60s. Gene Ammons, Zoot Sims, Prez, Stan Getz (later switched to Link).

The point is, don't pay $500 for some boutique mouthpiece before you're ready. Just as you wouldn't buy a $2500 taylor made Savile Row bespoke suit made for you if you were still growing. You go to Macy's and buy one off the rack.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Try a Rousseau Studio Jazz 6. I came to one of these after a Selmer C**. You may need to drop a reed strength or half. They are inexpensive but fairly high quality.

Depending on your skill level and reed choice you can get almost any type of sound you want on this mouthpiece, from big band to a darkish funk sound.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top