Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a older sax with Selmer New York engraved on it. I was told this could be a Conn stencil. All the info stamped on the back: Pat. Dec.8.1914, 1119954, C, W6810, L Thanks for any help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Only conn made horns denote the type and pitch. eg C- for c melody like your one but it is in low pitch which is concert pitch
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
the good news is that it is probably a very good horn (C-melodies have many aficionados) straight or curved neck? Microtuner?

·
2,487 Posts
why does it have Selmer engraved on it then??
i thought the conn selmer relationship was quite recent.

·
38,878 Posts

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
why does it have Selmer engraved on it then??
i thought the conn selmer relationship was quite recent.
Selmer was quite late getting into the sax making business. Like many instrument dealers and manufacture, those that did not have a proprietary saxophone product to sell, but wanted to get in on the budding saxophone craze, bought "Stencil" horns from the big manufacturers. Stencils were horns that were either the same model, custom models, or watered down models made by a company, but with the engraved name chosen by the client to sell under their own product line.

Eventually Selmer Paris began to make their own horns. The Conn/Selmer link is with Selmer USA, not Selmer Paris directly, and is indeed recent in date.

·
3,240 Posts
The funniest bit about selmer new york horns is that they often sell for more then the pro-line version by conn (also made by buescher)
Dave

·
38,878 Posts
what's in a name, eh ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information.

Thanks for your help I'm learning a lot. Can you tell the year it was made? Does it have a name or model number? It has a curved neck and does not have a microtuner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts