Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings & salutations,

I new to this forum; however, I would like some opinions and advice on the future purchase of a Tenor saxophone. Currently I own a Woodwind Tenor sax that I purchased about 9 years ago. I use a Guardela MBII mouthpiece with it. I have not played in seven years (long story ...) and I started again this past summer. I own a Selmer Paris alto super action 80 II and I am very happy with the tone and response that it gives me. I use it with a Dukeoff mouthpiece. I was able to play on a Selmer Paris Tenor super action 80 II for a while when I was playing; therefore, I am familiar with the sound and feel of the saxophone overall. I have not played the new reissue of the Marke VI Selmer Paris Model 74 "Reference 54" Tenor Saxophone. Unfortunately where I live now I am unable to playt test these two saxophones. The only music store that is here locally does not carry such models unless I special order. I am torn between buying the new reissue selmer paris Mark VI tenor or the selmer paris super action 80 II silver plated tenor sax. Any comments, opinions, or advice? I would appreciate the help thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
462 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gonzii. Where are you?
I acquired a silver plated Series 2 tenor recently, and it it is nowhere near my Ref 54, on the other hand series 2 are about half the price of a 54.
Don't be fooled by the 'Son of Mark 6' hype surrounding the 54, the only thing to come close to a 6 is another 6.
Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I play tested a super action 80 II,54,36 and a series III. I like to try saxes when our local dealer gets them. I liked the super 80 II the best.It has the warmest tone. But this is based on brief auditions. I play on a Keilwerth SX-90 black nickel tenor w/ a Selmer Omega as a spare/back up. I do own selmer(paris) saxes(a baritone and soprano). There are others that swear by the reference series Selmers that play far better than me. Hopefully they will weight in on it. For me the refs didn't do it but to be fair maybe they weren't optimally set up(I did play a real sweet ref 54 alto at the same store that really sung!!!!)!!!!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
First you should know that the Ref. 54 is not a Mark VI replacement, it is a new instrument. The Mark VI relationship is advertising exaggeration. That doesn't mean that it's not a superb instrument - it is.

I own a Serie II alto and really like it. I recently play-tested several Selmer tenors and, surprisingly, liked the Serie II the least. IMO both the Ref. 54 and Serie III were more comfortable and had more of the kind of sound I'm looking for. And actually, I didn't see that great a difference in the 54 and the III to make that big a difference in which I would chose, if I was to buy one.

·
32,938 Posts
Welcome, Gonzii. Given your choices of mouthpiece, it seems you are looking for a bright focused sound - just the opposite of the Ref 54 and Serie II. I'd suggest that you consider the Serie III - perhaps in silverplate, if that's your thing.

The Serie II alto does not have the same character of the Serie II tenor. The alto is a much more versatile horn.

Another difference in features between the Ref horns and the Serie models is the height of the palm keys - the keys on the Serie III are taller (further away from the body) than the Ref horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Yep, the Reference 54 is not a Mark 6

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I responed to this question in another thread. Dr G and Gary did also. Maybe they need combined!!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Yeah there are 2 threads but he has one post?????Really weird!!!!

·
4,147 Posts
Yea, why does he only have 1 post?

·
4,147 Posts
Grumps said:
Gary hacked the counter.
He steals the credit for everyone's first post.
That's how he really got to 10,000...

Makes sense.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
sycc said:
I responed to this question in another thread. Dr G and Gary did also. Maybe they need combined!!!
It has been duly reported. :salute:

(see - I got another post. If I keep it up I might reach 100. :twisted:)

Wait a minute! I just reread that quote. You mean I and Dr G. should be combined. :yikes!:

·
4,147 Posts
gary said:
It has been duly reported. :salute:

(see - I got another post. If I keep it up I might reach 100. :twisted:)

Wait a minute! I just reread that quote. You mean I and Dr G. should be combined. :yikes!:

Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated into the collective.:borg:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Grumps said:
Gary hacked the counter.
He steals the credit for everyone's first post.
That's how he really got to 10,000...
So after 10,000 the forum counter resets itself? That's kind of interesting. Well, this may be the only time that I'll ever have a higher post count than Gary.

I never really understood the Ref 54 and 36 tenors. The keywork on both is almost identical to the Series III which looks and feels nothing like a VI or BA. I'm a fan of the unique finishes of both horns, but I think that the only thing that really seperates them from the III is the neck design. The Reference 54 alto has a much closer feel to a real Mark VI, though its tone is darker than any VI I've played on. The Reference horns are GREAT horns, but they are not the exact copies of the Mark VI and Balanced Action.

You can't go wrong with the SA80II they are good horns. The tenor is different in character to the alto as previously stated, but I wouldn't say that the tenor isn't versatile. A reasonably priced Series III isn't out of the realm of possibilities anymore either. The III is a brighter more flexible horn, which has always seemed to project more to my ears. The III also came in those gorgeous looking Millenium and Jubilee editions.

Honestly, all of the current Selmer line is very good providing that they have been set up correctly and haven't been abused. As with any saxophone that has been put together by hand, certain examples of each of these models will play better than others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Series 54 vs. Series 74 "Reference 54"

Greetings & salutations,

I am beginning the trek on information of which tenor sax to buy within the Selmer Paris family. I have narrowed it down to two options (my experience thus far has been with a series 54 alto which I own and I have played a series 54 tenor both of which have a rich beautiful fat dark tone--Stan would be proud). The options are: Selmer model 54 Paris Tenor silver plated or a Selmer model 74 Paris "reference 54". I do not live anywhere remotely near a sax shop where I could try them both. The last time I tried a Selmer Paris model (Bari) was in Arlington Texas when Mars Music was still around, but I hear that they are out of business. I could make a trip to WWBW but that would only at to the price I will eventually spend. Any ideas, opinions, or advice? It would be greatly appreciated. I currently use La Voz Unfiled/Rico Jazz Unfiled reeds and a DG MB II with my current Tenor Thanks.

Gonzii

·
32,938 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts