Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I was browsing the shelves of my local antique store this morning and stumbled upon an old Conn 10m tenor sax. I jotted down the serial number and took a photo which unfortunately I can't upload at the moment. The serial number is 946683 (no prefix), and the engraving says that it was made at the Indiana plant, at least that's what I think. I really don't know very much about Conns so it could have been manufactured in Mexico, but I saw no markings to indicate that.

Anywho, everything on the horn seems to work. It will definitely need some new pads and probably some adjustments, but all of the mechanisms seemed to be in working order. The keys are nickel plated which through a bit of research tells me that it is indeed from the 60's. I don't know if this is significant or not, but the octave pipe on the neck is on the bottom. That's about all the information I can give on the horn. I've read that these years were known as the bad years for Conn, but I don't believe that this horn was made in Mexico unless they used the same Elkhart, Indiana engraving on the Mexico horns.

The owner is asking for $195, complete with original neckstrap, MP/lig, and a neat little owner's manual. Do you think this horn would be worth fixing up? It seems like a waste to just let the poor little guy just sit there unloved. I will try to get some pictures next time I'm up that way, thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Conn moved production to Mexico in 1960. The serial number indicates 1962, as near as I can tell. Having said that, it may still be a good horn which you will purchase for the price of a mouthpiece (the seller may even take less if you make an offer , say $150). Good Luck

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
The 1960's 10M (officially called the Artist model) was never made in Mexico. Oh, rumor has it that a few leftover parts in 1970 made their way to the Mexico plant, but the 10Ms were IN horns through 1969. These have better balance (Conn cobra factor diminished), cool factor (underslung octave key to match their 6M brethren), the best intonation of the 10M line (some alteration of the neck taper, I would surmise), and slick key action (again like their 6M brethren). I have had two of these, and I really liked them both.
$200 is a steal, even if it needs work to play. If in playing condition, you could flip it for triple that here and it would still be a bargain for that price. If the owner cared to keep the original manual and neckstrap, that is a strong hint that he might have babied it; it might even play with only minor tweaking at your local tech.
Grab it!
Sax Magic

·
Registered
332 Posts
I happen to to have bought a 946XXX horn from jayesf, and this horn definitely outplays a '50s silver 10M I used to have. It's a keeper as far as I'm concerned, I HAVE found my tenor :)
A nice companion tonewise to my TH'n'C alto. Still looking for my bary but I have an option on a couple of 12 Ms...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I think the final Elkhart 10Ms were in about 1970. I was at the factory in August of 1970 and they were just shutting down most of the lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts