Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am new here and this is my very first post to the forum - looking to find out some information about a curved buescher Bb soprano which has a silver coating that i own.

on the rear of the body 50xxx
and below that low pitch

on the front bell

Buescher Co
Elkhart, Ind.

USQMC

i Understand based on the inscription on the bell that this was a horn used by the US Quartermaster Corps but its unlike any other early Buscher i have ever seen a picture of - there are simple metal keys without any plastic or mother pf pearl overlays. I have attached a few photos - if anyone can give me an idea of the horn itself that would be appreciated - i will say this - the sound is sweet and soulful - any help in getting more information on the horn is greatly appreciated. Thank You

View attachment 54745 View attachment 54746 View attachment 54747

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,584 Posts
About 1919, A U.S. military sax. Definitely used in military bands, and might even have a Sousa connection, but probably no way to know.

·
Registered
357 Posts
are you sure it is silver, not nickel? Either way it was typical for produce cheaper version of instrument for military contracts. Replacing silver with nickel, removing perls, cheaper engraving, anything goes..

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I had a Buescher like that (though not engraved for the Quartermaster Corp) many years ago. I agree a great playing and sounding horn. It only goes to high Eb right? That's really the only issue I had with the horn, and I'm sorry I no longer have it. My wife claims it's the only soprano she ever liked :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,080 Posts
Silver plate, common to not have pearls on early horns and those for the military. It is a Quartermaster horn and would be issued to a bandsman. the basic engraving is military issue on most horns. Early Bueschers had straight soldered tone holes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts