Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have quite a few early bebop recordings but I'm looking for more. I avoid compilations as much as possible because I want complete records.

I already have:
Bud powell - amazing bud powell vol 1 and 2
thelonious monk - genious of modern music vol 1 and 2
sonny stitt with bud powell and jj Johnson

Could you please recommend me some Fats Navarro, Bud Powell, Tadd Dameron, Dexter Gordon, Dizzy Gillespie, thelonious monk records before 1950-1952?

Thanks^^

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Dexter Rides Again with Leo Parker

Complete Blue Note Recordings of Fats Navarro and Tadd Dameron

Midnight at Mintons (Don Byas, Joe Guy, Thelonius Monk, Kenny Clarke)

Wardell Gray Memorial

Bopland Legendary Elks Club Concert

Dizzy Gillespie Big Band with Chano Pozo

Billy Eckstine big band w Dexter, Gene Ammons (not exactly bop but nice early Dex and Jug)

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dexter Rides Again with Leo Parker

Complete Blue Note Recordings of Fats Navarro and Tadd Dameron

Midnight at Mintons (Don Byas, Joe Guy, Thelonius Monk, Kenny Clarke)

Wardell Gray Memorial

Bopland Legendary Elks Club Concert

Dizzy Gillespie Big Band with Chano Pozo

Billy Eckstine big band w Dexter, Gene Ammons (not exactly bop but nice early Dex and Jug)
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Check out the Fats Navarro recordings for Savoy: They are necessarily only available in compilations, it was the age of 78's after all. Look for Barry's Bop, Nostalgia, Fat Girl, A Bebop Carol. I have them on a double lp, but these are available on cd or as downloads.

And why not explore more of the Savoy catalogue? Stan Getz on Savoy, Dexter Digs In are on cd.

Oh, and of course Dexter on Dial - classic recordings with Wardell Grey amongst others.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Can I fudge the date one year? Do you have "Jazz at Massey Hall" It's a classic.

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all, I got a nice wish list now^^
Check out the Fats Navarro recordings for Savoy: They are necessarily only available in compilations, it was the age of 78's after all. Look for Barry's Bop, Nostalgia, Fat Girl, A Bebop Carol. I have them on a double lp, but these are available on cd or as downloads.

And why not explore more of the Savoy catalogue? Stan Getz on Savoy, Dexter Digs In are on cd.

Oh, and of course Dexter on Dial - classic recordings with Wardell Grey amongst others.
Yes that's very frustrating I can't find all the recordings wardell gray and dexter made together.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,855 Posts
I will check it out, but I'm looking for "the hunt" and "the chase" 78 records on cd.
I bought years ago some very cheap CD's at V&D with Dexter/Wardell battles 'The Chase', 'The Steeple Chase' and also something including Teddy Edwards (forgot the tittle). Don't think they still have them. Give me a pm if you can't find them, maybe we can arrange something.

You could also check out the great alto Sonny Criss:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/r...s=sonny+criss&rh=n:229816,k:sonny+criss&ajr=0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts