Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a freshmen in highschool, and i play the Bari sax. I am looking for a new one, and i have come across the Selmer Paris Super Action 80 Series II Low A Black Lacquer bari sax, i like it because it has the black lacquer which would look great when i do the jazz gigs at our school. I have also noticed that for roughly the same price as the new horn, i could get the Mark VI. I was wondering what you guys think, should i get the new horn, or should i get the Mark VI? also, if i decide on a Mark VI, where can i get one, besides ebay?
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
If you're a freshman in high school, get the SA80. It's the preferred horn in colleges and as great as the VIs are, they aren't as durable as the newer ones. Plus, if you study any classical playing (which you WILL in college) it will be a much better horn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah...thats what i read, the mark VI's arent as durable, just becasue they are so old. I would really like to have one though. anyone else have any thoughts?
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
One other thing...if you're going to play in college, you might consider an alto rather than a baritone...your primary studies will be on alto, and the school will have baris for you to play, but it is unlikely that they will have altos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don;t plan on playing in college, it will just be a lifetime hobby, and i know that if i sepnd the money on the SA80 now, i wil have it for my entire life
 

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
Joined
·
3,752 Posts
You might like the black lacquer now, but when you're 20 or 30, you might wish you got the normal lacquered one (plus its also a bit cheaper).
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Black Lacquer horns look like crap after a few years if you don't treat it like a baby, which is impossible with a bari.
 

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
Joined
·
3,752 Posts
Yeah if you can afford a new Selmer you might want to look at the black NICKEL Keilwerth (if you really want a black horn).
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
zxcvbnm said:
You might like the black lacquer now, but when you're 20 or 30, you might wish you got the normal lacquered one (plus its also a bit cheaper).

This is a good point...I've been thinking about this thread, and I don't usually suggest horns that someone ISN'T looking at, but you might look at a Yamaha YBS-62 as well. They'll be a little less than the SA-80, and every bari player I've ever known has preferred them to the Selmers. The intonation and build quality is excellent, they're a little brighter (good for a baritone), and you won't have to worry about getting it set up.

Even better, if you're going to spend $4000 on a horn, spend $4300 and go to Vegas (Kessler) or South Bend (WWBW) or New York (Weiner, Robertos, etc) and try out a bunch of horns!
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
J.Max said:
This is a good point...I've been thinking about this thread, and I don't usually suggest horns that someone ISN'T looking at, but you might look at a Yamaha YBS-62 as well. They'll be a little less than the SA-80, and every bari player I've ever known has preferred them to the Selmers. The intonation and build quality is excellent, they're a little brighter (good for a baritone), and you won't have to worry about getting it set up.

Even better, if you're going to spend $4000 on a horn, spend $4300 and go to Vegas (Kessler) or South Bend (WWBW) or New York (Weiner, Robertos, etc) and try out a bunch of horns!

Heck, if he considers the 62 he should consider the 52 too.
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
Martinman said:
Heck, if he considers the 62 he should consider the 52 too.

Yeah, but I (personally) don't like the 52s quite as much. They're very good horns, but the build quality isn't as good IMO. The brass seems softer somehow...

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread...just throwing in my 2 cents. I still think that if you're spending the money that you might as well go somewhere and try a bunch of horns.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
I know durability (in regards to the Mark VI) has been brought up a few times. What are your intentions for this bari? Are you planning on marching with it or is it strictly a Jazz and/or Symphonic horn? (If you're going to be marching, use a school horn and keep whatever horn you buy reserved for seated and/or indoor work.)

Personally I'd go for the VI. As long as you treat it reasonably well, and you don't run over it with a steam-roller or something, it will retain its value (and probably increase) better than any horn you could purchase new. If you get tired of it down the road, trade-in or trade-up then.

The VI will do anything you want it to do from Jazz to Quartet to Symphonic. Not that the other horns won't, but don't think that a VI is going to be some severely limiting albatrose... Think hard about that before you purchase a horn that will drop substantially in value before you even get it out of your parents' car.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
Joined
·
26,740 Posts
Little Sax said:
If you're going to be marching, use a school horn and keep whatever horn you buy reserved for seated and/or indoor work.
This can't be stressed enough. I'm hoping your school has a bari you can march with, because there is no way I'd let my kid take a Paris Selmer on the field.
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
Grumps said:
This can't be stressed enough. I'm hoping your school has a bari you can march with, because there is no way I'd let my kid take a Paris Selmer on the field.

Amen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hell...i know that, i would't take one of these babys out to the field if my lfie depended on it. I think I will stick with the black selmer, just because i take extremely good care of my instruments, so if i do a good job i won;t have to worry about the lacquer coming off.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
It is impossible to take care of something as large as a bari. I was at a clinic with Denis Diblasio today (pro bair player, played for Maynard, etc), and he was borrowing a 62 from Prowinds. He takes it out of the case, turns around, and knocks it into a chair saying, "Well, that one's resail value just went down."

I got to play a 62 bari for the first time today, and it was a lot better than the 52s I played in school, but you could chalk that up to being crappy school horns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay, what do you guys think about the Matte finish, i like it because it makes it look somewhat vintage.
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
deb1033 said:
okay, what do you guys think about the Matte finish, i like it because it makes it look somewhat vintage.

I like it. It's more durable than most other lacquer, plus it looks cool.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
deb1033 said:
okay, what do you guys think about the Matte finish, i like it because it makes it look somewhat vintage.

I personally detest that look (but I love a real vintage look), but if you like it go for it. Just be sure to play a bunch of stuff and don't let the finish be the final consideration in buying a horn.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,517 Posts
Don't know, I would probably go with the VI, but thats me personally.

I also agree with trying out a bunch of horns, and seeing what you like. Close your eyes when you do it, then the finish doens't matter 'cause you can't tell.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top