Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Every now and then, someone will pay me a few bucks to play sax over backing tracks, like karaoke, basically.

Yes, it's cheesy, but it works, and cash is cash....

I have a JBL EON 515 as my primary self-powered speaker for this kind of thing, and my old heavy-as-hell EON 15-pak as a back up, or to daisy-chain as a second speaker for bigger rooms.

However, I have a solo gig offer at a place in DC that has a parking situation from hell, but nearby access to METROrail. I'm wondering who makes a good and punchy powered speaker (preferably with 2 or 3 concurrent inputs and some kind of EQ adjuster) that comes in a compact cabinet. Bulk is probably more of an issue than weight if I'm just trying to maneuver a collapsable dolly.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
What is cheesy about playing and getting paid? Just do your thing and get paid. :)

Answer to your question and what I use is Fender Passport all-in-one PA systems.

You can pick one up inexpensively on ebay. Go for the 150 watt it is plenty for small restaurants and clubs.

B

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,166 Posts
Answer to your question and what I use is Fender Passport all-in-one PA systems.

B
I have played through two of these and thought the sound was just fine. They seem very easy to cart and set-up. They weren't mine so I don't know the output specs, but both situations were sitting in with a duo in a medium sized restaurant for dinner music, then turning it up a bit for a dance/ pub set after dinner.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you guys! I;ll be checking all of these out!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went around (I can't wait for shipping) to check out some of these options (the ones without the battery, which I don't need), and at Guitar Center, I was blown away by one of these:

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/k_series/K_series_K8.php in a side-by-side comparison with a JBL515.

OMG! The power and punch of 1000w (and clarity) for that size of speaker was superb. The deal-sealer was how on this speaker, you can choose between either a pre-gain or a post-gain SEND (line out) to a slave speaker (which would be my JBL 515). This way I can dial up and down the line level of both the speaker next to me and a more distant one simultaneously. When I daisy chain my 515 and my old JBL EON 15, I can't do that... with some awkward results. Not much in the way of EQ (two options, plus a bass roll-off if you're using a subwoofer), but playing some different kind of backing tracks thru it there in the store, plus some regular R&B recordings, it sounded fabulous.

Yeah, at $650 it wasn't cheap, but it will be worth every penny long-term.

Thanks for your inspirations to go looking, folks. These powered speakers seem to be getting better all the time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts