Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a beauty of a 1950 Buescher Big B bari with a short original neck that tunes great to A-444 with Vandoren V5/B35 and V16/B5 mouthpieces, but yanking out the neck and wobbling a mouthpiece on the cork just doesn't get to 440. I like the V16 more of the two, as it opens up the mid and high register horn so it's not so thin.

What's my best bet for a large chamber mouthpiece that will have some edge to hold my own in a big band?

Alternatively, would a different longer neck be a more cost effective answer?

Hobby player, and don't want to drop $800.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
You can probably get the chamber opened up on the V16 by Mouthpiece Guys. Erik Griffenhagen has a "double chamber" modification that works well with the original neck. It's about $150 to get the work done, so I suggest liking the mouthpiece first before he opens up the chamber volume to address the intonation.

http://www.mouthpieceguys.com/

On mine I actually use a '60s Bundy/Signet/400 neck with a Strathon mouthpiece, and that works well too. Of course, a Strathon will cut concrete and peel paint if you want it to, but a new neck is $300, plus finding a bari Strathon from the '70's/'80's is more than just a bit of good fortune and the ones that Zinner sells now are bright to the point of obnoxious -- if you can get him to sell you one.

There are others that are using other pieces including old Meyer's that seem to be getting good results, but I don't have any personal experience with them -- at least none that are positive, so I'll let these folks speak up themselves. I can tell you a Sigurd Rascher or original Buescher is spot on with the intonation with lots of cork meat holding it on, but those are dark to the point of being a "dead" piece, so unless you're trying to sound like a cello, it's probably not what you want. That said, I haven't tried putting a roll-over baffle in one of these yet to give them some edge. May work, may not. If you try it, let me know how it works out.

I saw a guy using a Yamaha 5C last summer -- wasn't sure how it got it in tune with the original neck though.

What I know of unmodified modern pieces that don't work with the original neck that are said to be large chamber pieces:

Theo Wanna Durga (expensive try that I still have but can't play)
Berg Larsen .115/2 (though I don't know if a "/3" will work.

Anyway, it's a challenge. If you find something modern that works for you on the original neck, please share what it was.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
I'm getting great results from a vintage hard rubber Woodwind Sparkle-Aire mpc that has a huge body, large chamber, and custom baffle by David Jary. The baffle is medium in length and fairly high.

I got it in trade but Jary's work isn't too expensive. Not sure how easy it is to find another one of those blanks though.

·
3,176 Posts
I have a Erik G 'double chamber' b75- works a treat on my Martin and is also great on bueschers and conns I have tried.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for these great leads. I'm checking them out and will report back on how it all works out.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,762 Posts
I don't have a Big B, but I do have an older 400. I don't know how the neck lengths compare but...
The mouthpieces that I have that work well on the 400 are a Rousseau 5R, Yamaha 5C, and my 'son-in-law' uses a Rico Metalite 7 with no tuning issues. They might be worth looking at as well.
Otherwise.... Start watching ebay for an OLD Buescher mouthpiece. Those sometimes have huge chambers and low rollover baffels.

·
1,613 Posts
Your 400's neck is shorter than the later ones (and the Selmers after the Bueschers), but longer than the Aristocrats, if I recall correctly.

I don't have a Big B, but I do have an older 400. I don't know how the neck lengths compare but...
The mouthpieces that I have that work well on the 400 are a Rousseau 5R, Yamaha 5C, and my 'son-in-law' uses a Rico Metalite 7 with no tuning issues. They might be worth looking at as well.
Otherwise.... Start watching ebay for an OLD Buescher mouthpiece. Those sometimes have huge chambers and low rollover baffels.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Always. They're also in demand, tend to be expensive, and won't help you much in a big band (unless it's a '20s band - and it won't be :)).

I've had good results with a Morgan J series on my '36 Aristocrat split-bell - in tune, lots of volume, low resistance, and a modest edge. Not sure they're still made (mine's 20 years old).

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,762 Posts
Always. They're also in demand, tend to be expensive, and won't help you much in a big band (unless it's a '20s band - and it won't be :)).

I've had good results with a Morgan J series on my '36 Aristocrat split-bell - in tune, lots of volume, low resistance, and a modest edge. Not sure they're still made (mine's 20 years old).
I offered suggestions that might remedy the 'playing in tune at A440' issue.
Any mouthpiece can be 'edgy' with the right reed, which in my old lady opinion is the least of the worries if you can't get the damned horn in tune with the rest of the ensemble.

Jenner... If the wobble isn't too bad you can try wrapping the cork on the neck with some plumbers tape. If it allows you to pull out enough to play at A440 without fear of your mouthpiece falling off you might be 'ok'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Any mouthpiece can be 'edgy' with the right reed
True, but if there's no baffle, the edge just becomes buzz. That's what we call brightness without power, which doesn't reach the listener.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,601 Posts
On my TT bari, an Otto Link hard rubber piece tunes about 1/2" farther on the cork than a V16. That might work for you.

·
8,588 Posts
Is this a modern Link, or something older?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,623 Posts
I have an old Conn bari where even an Otto Link plays sharp. What has worked for me are:

1) An old Woodwind Co., NY Steel Ebonite
2) A 5 1/2" long RPC rollover

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a 1955 aristocrat bari. I have tried the following from my collection: Metal Berg 130/1, Dukoff D7, Cannonball hr C*, Rico A7, Vandoren Optimum, Meyer hr 10M worked on by Phil E and Conn Streamline. The best for intonation has been the Conn.

K

45 yrs of happy sax

·
8,588 Posts
I have a 1955 aristocrat bari. I have tried the following from my collection: Metal Berg 130/1, Dukoff D7, Cannonball hr C*, Rico A7, Vandoren Optimum, Meyer hr 10M worked on by Phil E and Conn Streamline. The best for intonation has been the Conn.
Thanks for that, but did any of them actually play in tune on the Buescher? I've tried dozens on mine that didn't work and I didn't list -- an expensive quest and how I ended up with the current long-neck, Strathon mouthpiece solution.

·
8,588 Posts
Modern Link.
Ahh... I see another mouthpiece gathering dust in the drawer in my future, but it's worth a try.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,601 Posts
Ahh... I see another mouthpiece gathering dust in the drawer in my future, but it's worth a try.
I've played 3 shows on the Buescher/Link combo and not had any notable issues. The neck is an Aronson copy of the original (short) neck. The horn came to me with a long replacement neck, and I couldn't get anywhere near up to pitch with that one; I don't own any high-baffle pieces.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts