Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I'm in a jam (situation, not session unfortunately....)

I am in Venezuela for the entire winter, on an island where very little sax-wise or even hardware-wise is available.

I keep an old Antigua Winds soprano here to play- my only horn here. It's my "traveling horn". I won't be back for months.

The octave pad fell off the octave mechanism on the neck. I found (and have) the pad.

I am not a technician. I want to replace the pad myself since there is nobody else here to do it, and the availability of anything, including any kind of specialty glues, etc, is likely very very limited.

If I don't fix this I have nothing to play for months. I can't expect an expert job but I want to be able to fix it simply with simple materials that will allow me to get back to playing as soon as possible.

Any suggestions as to how to do it?

Can I just use any glue, like superglue or some such thing?

Is there anything I need to be extra careful about so as not to screw it up?

And what products might be acceptable vs what to avoid so as to not screw up my sax?

I seriously question if anything approximating hot glue or a glue gun or torch would be available.

Thanks for your help.

Desperately,

anitje.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,607 Posts
Get a piece of plastic film (Saran Wrap, Cling Wrap, etc.) about 2cm x 2cm. Put the pad in the cup and then put one layer of wrap over it. Pull the rest of the wrap up behind the cup and twist it. Depending on how good it "clings", that might be enough to keep it in place. If not, a little piece of cellophane tape (Scotch Tape) will keep it in place. It's not too noticeable. You may find, like I have on occasion, that the layer of plastic wrap provides a better seal than just the leather pad.

Mark

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark....

Saran Wrap is harder to find here in Venezuela than crazy glue ("pega loca"). Or shampoo, toilet paper, coffee, don't get me started....

Anyway, necessity (like Zappa) being the mother of invention, I went with crazy glue. Maybe not the greatest idea but it works and the pad is prob. not going anywhere for a long time.

Thanks a million for your help guys.

anitje

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
How about chewed chewing gum?

Or use heat with the dried, hardened sap that has oozed from a tree. That is very similar to the shellac that technicians use.

What has happened to the glue that was there? If it is still in the cup or on the pad, then probably some heat on the key cup to soften it is all you need.

Superglue is OK at a pinch, but is a very poor filler. The gel better than the liquid. But be very careful not to get it on lacquer, or goodbye cosmetics.

Epoxy is better if that is there.

Instead of the Saran wrap you could use plumbers Teflon tape, but I guess that may be equally unavailable. Another alternative to use similarly is sausage skin. (or the intestine wall of a local animal.)

What glues do you have there?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Woops... suggestions too late.
But may help somebody else. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts