Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new neckstrap. I have been playing on a neotech for years now and I am looking for a better one. I need one that is comfortable, yet does not slip while playing. Nothing with elastic around the neck either- I dont want it to bounce. I heard that Ligaphone might be something to consider but I was wondering what anyone else would suggest?

·
Registered
599 Posts
LOL nice choice of forum to make your topic.

Anyway, wouldn't a generic neckstrap with cotton padding do the job?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Another vote for the Oleg. It's not elastic. It's padded, not heavily though but it distributes the weight well enough to where you don't get neck pains. The best thing for me is that it doesn't absorb sweat like the Neotech. My Neotech got pretty funky smelling pretty fast. Washing it was only a temporary solution. That think STUNK. I've been playing with the Oleg for a few years and haven't had those problems.

It did take a little getting used to because it layed differently across my clavicle(collar bone). But I adapted and it fits comfortably now.

·
Yes, one of the neck strap guys.
135 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Question about those neotech straps though. Do you think if I used scuba diving shampoo on the neoprene it will clean out the rubber of the funky smell that develops after a while?

This shampoo stuff if used to clean wetsuits/drysuits and supposedly they clean them up from all oganic and salt residue left in the rubber. I'm not willing to give up my strap, its too comfy :)

·
135 Posts
The Neotech straps are washable. We recommend hand washing in mild detergent, rinsing thoroughly and hanging to dry. If wrinkles appear you can lay the strap out in the sun for about an hour and wrinkles will fall away.

I imagine that a "scuba diving shampoo" would probably classify as a mild detergent. Let me know how it works! ([email protected])

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Saxgal137 said:
I am in the market for a new neckstrap. I have been playing on a neotech for years now and I am looking for a better one. I need one that is comfortable, yet does not slip while playing. Nothing with elastic around the neck either- I dont want it to bounce.
I tried the Neotechs and the bounce you mention is something that I abhor.

I've been using the Ray Hyman neckstraps for 20 or more years. They are inexpensive, don't take up much room when I keep a spare in my gigbag, and have never slipped. I like the hooks too.

As to the smell of neoprene... I have been SCUBA diving since the 70s and even ran a dive shop for a while. Yes, you can wash it but the funk will come back pretty quickly. Best to buy a new neckstrap when that happens.

You may also find that the neoprene traps flora from your skin and may lead to minor fungal growths. All of the densely padded neckstraps are susceptible to this - that's why the current emphasis is on making them washable. Either that, or saxophone players around the world just discovered why the accessory pocket of their cases smells so bad. ;)

·
135 Posts
Dr G said:
I tried the Neotechs and the bounce you mention is something that I abhor.
Dr. G.

See my above post about the Wick-It Strap. It has no stretch (i.e. "bounce") at all to it owing to the anti-microbial foam used in its pad.

Detesting all of our straps because of a feature of one strap is a bit short-sighted. It's kind of like saying "I hate Toyotas because I can't haul a washing machine in the back". If you have a Camry, that's true. If you have a pick up it's not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I use the Wicki-It on bari. It's comfortable, no bounce, does slip a little but is easy to pull up with one hand. I got the coated metal hook. The coating lasted maybe two hours before wearing through. All in all, though, a good stap for a heavy horn. For alto and tenor it's hard to beat the Hymans, and the Rico (Planet Waves?) straps also work well. Both are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I use a dejacques a bit pricey but is the best I've seen so far. Neotech are ok as spares but an oleg or planet waves are better options.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
I've used the Dejaques and the Planet Waves and liked them, though the DeJaques broke on me. I vote for Planet Waves: it's a neck strap, it's a Dylan album.......;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
double post

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I can recommend the BA-Sling; it's comfortable, not too pricey, no strain on the neck, holds the sax in a good position. For rock gigs when I might be standing for 2 or 3 sets, the Slider Strap is really useful. I also use a wide canvas strap which hangs over the right shoulder and hooks to its own clip-eye; it's easy to get in and out of, and comfortable enough to hold your horn on your lap when doubling.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
wersax said:
I've used the Dejaques and the Planet Waves and liked them, though the DeJaques broke on me. I vote for Planet Waves: it's a neck strap, it's a Dylan album.......;)
The deJacques BROKE!!!! [suddenly anxious] Where?/How?/When? - for the price, i'm not expecting mine to do that. Ever. Did you contact the company?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I love my Yamaha strap, my second one in 7 years :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
If you're playing tenor I'd recommend the Ligaphone strap as it has the heavy terry cloth padding, it's a cord style strap that doesn't get in the way, wicks sweat, it adjust very quick, and has a cork screw hook that is coated with something that will never wear through and it makes sure your horn doesn't slip out of the hook.

I use the ligaphone when playing out, I use the the Gemini Harness when practicing at home, I really like this harness, it's expensive, but very high quality. Harnesses get a bad rap, but once you tweak the adjustments and if you're skinny and don't have a belly then you'll have plenty of room to let the horn hang naturally like a regular neck strap. I can see a problem though with women if they are large chested.

The neotech wick-it is a great strap for alto, but the padding is too narrow and too little for me on the tenor.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts