Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have two mouthpieces I use on my alto, a Selmer S80 C** and a JodyJazz HR* 6M. I have a Rovner Dark ligature that I have used on both, and had a Rovner Light ligature which I recently sold, but I find the Rovner ligatures tend to compress the sound a bit and restrict the reed vibrations but I did find at least for me, with the light ligature, the low notes were slightly easier to get out than with the dark.

I have the H ligature that comes with the JJ HR* (or used to as I heard they no longer supply it free with the the mouthpiece) I found over the Rovner ligatures, it felt more free blowing and I liked the tone I got more and I found low notes easier to get out. However, I have had issues with it not fitting well on the mouthpiece. I found that even when it was tightened fully, it could come off when adjusting the mouthpiece on the neck cork, and it left 4 indents light on my reeds table (I play Legere Studio Cut reeds) and the table of the mouthpiece slightly where the sides of the H rested so want to replace it with something better.

I am looking to get a different ligature that will fit both mouthpieces and let the reed vibrate freely without restricting it and be easy to take on and off the mouthpiece and not move when tightened like the H ligature does. Does anyone know any good ligatures that would do that and fit both? I was thinking of the Francois Louis Ultimate as I have read it can produce a broader tone than many other ligatures due to how the reed sits on it, but I also read that the plate on it might be a little rough on the edges. I haven't tried it yet so have no experience with it. Would that fit on both mouthpieces?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
The FL Ultimate lig would probably fit both (actually, I know it fits a Jody Jazz HR), but I'll tell you right now that if you were having problems with Rico H lig coming off when adjusting the mpc, the FL would be just as bad if not worse. The FL Ultimate's are nice ligs, but they do move quite easily, especially if your mpc fits quite tightly on your neck cork. I'd suggest either VERY slightly sanding your cork so the mpc doesn't fit so tight, or just having it replaced. If you go that route, obviously make sure your tech has your mouthpiece to properly fit the new neck cork and tell him/her that you'd really like to be able to move the mouthpiece more easily. Having said that, if you just want to try out another lig, I love the Vandoren M/O ligs. If at all possible, find a music store that stocks some different alto ligs and go to town. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts