Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i live in Corvallis, Oregon and i need to find someone to repair my vintage Otto Link Tenor Saxophone mouthpiece
i accidentally dropped it on the floor and the tip bent down a little, it was not playable after that

i need a recommendation of good repair man in oregon-washington state area
thank you

Writing implement Cork Writing instrument accessory Wood Office supplies

Writing implement Office supplies Wood Writing instrument accessory Hardwood

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
816 Posts
Hi KenMarco :
Keith Bradbury ( aka Mojobari ) could make the repair to your mouthpiece. His address is :
Mojo Mouthpiece Work LLC
2925 Crane St.
Vineland, NJ 08361
856-691-5367 (Email contact is preferred.)
[email protected]

In youtube there are many videos posted by him showing his work on many different mouthpieces.
Here there is one , showing how he does :
Straightening a Bent Tip and Shank in a Dukoff :

I hope this could be useful .
Best wishes
Humbardi

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
Ouch, that looks rough. For whatever it's worth, I've done this repair several times and it's not that hard but it does involve redoing the entire facing. A very good (and minimally destructive) way to go about doing this is to use a pair of rubber-coated pliers (to avoid scratching the tip) and actually bend the tip back open to approximately the original tip opening which is measured using a depth-type dial gauge that refacers use for tip opening measurments. Then, from there it's just a more-involved-than-usual refacing job. The more destructive version of the same repair job would be just to use tip cutting to open the piece back up and reface the entire facing and baffle with files, sandpaper, and glass. But the way I described doing it first can actually help preserve the integrity of the original tip and baffle material to a certain degree compared to just straight-up tip-cutting it back into position.

Of course any good refacer would know what to do with this, and I'm sure Mojo would do a fantastic job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts