Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to play lead tenor in my big band (I played the bari previously). I am wondering if anyone can help to recommend an ideal mpc for a lead tenorist in a big band. As such, I will need a mpc that is projective with some edge and has a big fat sound since I will be play quite a fair bit of solos as well as regular parts.

I am using a Selmer Serie II lacquered tenor. I had tried a few mpcs (Selmer metal E, LA Sax Saxtech 8 etc) but found that the sound was light, thin and buzzy.

Some recommendations on reed combinations would be helpful too. Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use a hard rubber 7* Link on a Series III for 1st tenor in bigband. Used to play a metal Link, but switched a while ago. They both work fine, a long as you keep working on your sound. Long tones etc. Link (specially metal) needs that.

TenorReinier 8)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Don't use a high baffle piece, you want to blend most of the time and don't want to overpower the rest of the section. Try a morgan L or EL, these things can really w`il for solos but sound good at moderate volume too.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
I play ride tenor in a university big band and I play a Jody Jazz ESP mouthpiece. Before that it was a Otto Link Super Tone Master Ny.

Reeds make a diference, too. There's a difference if I'm playing an Alexander DC or a Vandoren ZZ.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. However, the lead alto, 2nd tenor and baritone players all use metal mpcs with high baffle. Should I follow suit to blend in?

I am thinking of getting a Dukoff or SR Fusion. Are these alright?

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
Metal is not important except for looks and feel in your mouth. There are high baffle plastic and HR pieces that will work fine. But this is up to you.
The Runyon XL and Quantum are available in Delrin plastic and they are as loud or louder than metals.

The SR is a better made piece coming from the factory. It is almost impossible to get a good Dukoff that is on-size from a retailer. (But hand finished, they can be jaw-dropping awsome.) If they have a bunch in stock for you to try, you can pick out the best of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,473 Posts
tubbycub said:
However, the lead alto, 2nd tenor and baritone players all use metal mpcs with high baffle. Should I follow suit to blend in?
Hmmm, how 'bout introducing some tone to the section and perhaps inspire them to blend with you? :shock: The other tenor player in my big band was playing a Dukoff on a Yamaha tenor and was sooooo bright. I offered him the loan of a spare hard rubber 'piece (a .110" J&D Hite, refaced by Jon Van Wie) and he bought it and has been using it ever since. Much more pleasant to listen to and he hasn't lost any volume.

Among the SR Tech mouthpieces, I'd suggest going a little darker - the Pro is a good 'piece and has a little more body to it than the Fusion. Both are plenty loud.

Other mouthpieces with ample edge, punch, and projection include the Morgan "L" and "EL" as well as most anything by Fred Lamberson (I have an 8SB and usually use a J8 ). Larger tip openings, in general, will give lots of dynamic range and add buzz at higher volumes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,547 Posts
I also play tenor in a big band (swap lead with the other tenor player) and use a Morgan 8EL. The other tenor uses an old vintage metal Link (I think he bought it new 40 years ago), and we blend quite well, but both of us can 'speak up' when called upon.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would back that Ponzol M2, 110, if you can find one that's finished nicely.
It would give you a very warm lush tone when played softly, it's a joy to play this piece softly since the medium baffle = great projection. It blends very well. When pushed, it projects very well with a thick powerfull tone. It all depends on your embouchure and the reeds you're going to use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.