Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks--just acquired a nice old metal Link for tenor and am using an old Selmer metal mouthpiece ligature with it. I believe the stock Selmer brass alto mouthpiece cap fits it, but can't remember. What's everybody with metal tenor Links using as a cap? cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is this a super-tone-master or tone-master,or?
some photos would help.

Sorry, my devices aren't speaking to each other at the moment, so pix aren't possible. It's a Florida Link, no USA, Super Tone Master, and the Selmer ligature (I guess a 404?) that everybody was using back in the 80s in place of Link ligatures, fits it fine. It seems to be the same size as a Link metal mpiece I bought new in '86 (the lig fits equally well on both.). I got a brass Selmer cap for my other Link back in the 80s, don't remember if it was for an alto (think so) but this is New York freakin City and there are NO retail music stores in town where you can find, let alone try for size, Selmer brass m'piece caps. Hence my question, "What are you using..." in an effort to avoid ordering blindly off the internet & perhaps have to send stuff back.

Anyway, thanks for the responses!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
thanks, I'm open to 'whatever'--will take a look. Protecting the tip is key.
Whatever you do, don't get that FL lig cap. It works fine until those thin pieces of plastic that hold the lig on break and then you'll end up with a useless piece of plastic.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I use a rubber cap in the style of the Silverstein Omnicap. Their prices are a bit non-sense but you'll find knock-offs on eFlay for just a couple dollars.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use a rubber cap in the style of the Silverstein Omnicap. Their prices are a bit non-sense but you'll find knock-offs on eFlay for just a couple dollars.
Agreed. Though i spent the non-sense price on the Omnicap. Not upset I did, which should given insight to how I feel about them.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get that FL lig cap. It works fine until those thin pieces of plastic that hold the lig on break and then you'll end up with a useless piece of plastic.
FL products are designed to look cool, not for functionality. I’ve had their ligature and cap and regretted buying both.

·
Registered
376 Posts
FL products are designed to look cool, not for functionality. I’ve had their ligature and cap and regretted buying both.
The FL lig is a cool design. But the cap is a piece of junk. The ends that supposed to hold onto the lig break off. A rubber band held the thing on for a while. Stopped using it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts