Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First time on this site, and I know nothing about saxophones. I play guitar, piano, drums and trombone, and when my grandfather died last month, I inherited a bunch of music equipment. In this lot was a 1920s white king saxello. Its serial number or Pat. pending number is 71xxx, which I believe puts it at 1924. I am looking for information as to value, collectibility and generally what I should do with it.

Any advice would be useful, as I have heard this is a pretty collectible or well loved instrument.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The saxello is a unique instrument. Value all depends on finish and condition. Post some pictures

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Ya post some pics. Those are cool instruments that can be very collectible. Pics are a must if you want a value assessment. It could be anywhere from $2500 - $3500 if it is in good to great condition or it could be less. Pics will give us the answer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,286 Posts
Welcome to SOTW. Condolences about your grandfather's passing.

Some love 'em, some don't. But regardless, they do command prices higher than standard old sopranos, so that's a good thing. I wouldn't sell it until you've had several replies here AND consulted with some of SOTW members who deal in these things. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,172 Posts
My condolences as well.

You know, in instances where the instrument has a family history, I usually suggest people try to keep it in the family. An easier thing to suggest here given you are a musician. They are one of the most unique models ever made. Quite sought-after.

The values above are about right. If you don't NEED the money, keep it in the family. Heck, if you are a multi-instrumentalist, you can take up sax. Or maybe your kid can......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the great info. It does have the original case, in good shape (clasps and lock still work perfect, purple felt is still fully intact and untorn). I am trying to upload pictures, but I am having the hardest time, I keep getting the "upload of file failed" even after I compressed them to applicable size.

Anyone know of any trick to fix this? Maybe because I am newly registered?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,074 Posts
Stick the photos on flickr or some other free site and post a link. I haven't played (or seen) a saxello in over 40 years so I can't make a playing judgement. I have had straight Kings that were OK and curved King sopranos which I find to be excellent.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Wow, nice horn! Looks like it needs pads...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,286 Posts
Yup, that's a beaut, alright. I agree about the need for pads if the low B and Bb are any indication of the overall instrument. But in MY view, an overhaul would be a wise move which would enhance the sales appeal of the horn.

And I also agree that maybe you should keep it in the family. These come along (especially in this cosmetic condition) only so often and it certainly has family-appeal.

You didn't comment about the Y-brace being there. Is it? These are a seemingly small issue but for a player who has multiple instruments on stage, it is important.

As far as actually playing one, I've heard some that were really nice. The one I owned had poor intonation to the point that I didn't play it in public (like other King sopranos - straight - that I've owned/played). I traded mine away. Enjoyed your photos, though. Nice, DAVE

·
21,074 Posts
Is it gold or silver colored? I assume it is silver which would make this finish the darker color and be Nickel Plated. That may be pretty rare. If you are selling it, I would leave the old original pads in as it could be a gem of a find for a collector.

·
18,172 Posts
I still say keep it. You are a musician.

But if you are gonna sell it...the overhaul vs. not question is very up in the air.

It looks damn pristine.....meaning, even though it needs a repad to make it play, it already has a high value right now. I am not sure that paying $500-1000 to repad or overhaul it is going to be $ which you would be able to recoup if you went to sell. It used to be people would buy overhauled ones for $4000, back before the bubble burst. But not anywhere near that, anymore. (i.e., you may end up paying $600 for work and only getting another $700 of sale value out of it...and would that really have been worth the investment in the work ?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it gold or silver colored? I assume it is silver which would make this finish the darker color and be Nickel Plated. That may be pretty rare. If you are selling it, I would leave the old original pads in as it could be a gem of a find for a collector.
It is silver. I wondered what finish level it was. The original brochure says 4 finishes available and that a satin silver is the base finish. I've seen gold finished, gold/silver mixed,didn't know if they had done a nickel.

My grandpa is from the town these were made in, he may have picked it up way back when it was new or second owner. It's been in his basement since 1950s for sure, along with an Austrian made alto sax, which my cousin inherited.

I likely will end up selling as is, both because my wife wants me clear out some of my instruments, and because I'm working on a down payment for our first home.

·
21,074 Posts
I is Nickel plated. If it was silver, it would be full of tarnish by now unless it was disassembled and polished. Since you are selling it, put it on ebay very high and work your way down. Start at $4,500 and see what happens. With the original pads, case, etc. and the rare nickel plate, maybe someone will bite.

·
18,172 Posts
I likely will end up selling as is, both because my wife wants me clear out some of my instruments, and because I'm working on a down payment for our first home.
That's a pretty good reason to sell it. I once owned an incredibly rare Zildjian made in Turkey ride cymbal, a true grail of cymbals... which I won off of eBay for beans, because the seller never identified what it was, and his pics were crappy, and I took a chance. Swore I would never part with it.
But when the chance came for me to actually own a home, it went with little regrets (although it was hella awesome, it did end up with a player/aficionado who was psyched).

It is Nickel plated. If it was silver, it would be full of tarnish by now unless it was disassembled and polished. Since you are selling it, put it on ebay very high and work your way down. Start at $4,500 and see what happens. With the original pads, case, etc. and the rare nickel plate, maybe someone will bite.
Interesting to see other folks' tactics on eFlay. I would do something quite different.

I'd start with an open auction and a $4700 buy now, with a reserve of $4200, starting bid at $5. Run it for 5 or 7 days and see how high it goes...see how high people are willing to bid on it. If it's still around afterward, repeat the auction on a 7-day with a $4500 BIN and a $4000 reserve. If it ends with no sale again, do not immediately relist it, but wait one week and then relist it again, no changes to the previous.
In no instance would I let it go for less than $3500.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts