Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I use a Runyon Quantum size 12 on my Bari. It's good for the soul band I play with but I find it a bit lacking. It's very much a one sound peice for me. I would like to have a bit more flexibility. I'd like to be able to get a big warmer sound and still be able to the get the neccesary bite. On tenor I am enjoying a Ponzol ss M2 in this regard.
Don't get me wrong the Quantum is a good peice but I want more.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Ed.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,215 Posts

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
You may like a Quantum 13 or 14 better. Are you using a metal or Delrin Quantum? The metals are a bit warmer. I have both, but mine are tricked out with wider windows and thinner side rails among other things. I also occasionally used a thinned down Spoiler for loud R&B sets. The full sized Spoiler seems to choke off the sound but by taking 1/3rd of it away it becomes a useful option.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mojo I'm using the metal. I did briefly play on a rubber Yanagisawa peice that gave me all the smoke with strength and depth but no bite. I did come from the Delrin Quantum 8 to my present one and on that experience I don't think a wider lay will get me where I want to go. Where I am it's very difficult to try peices as availability is very limited thus I'm hoping to get some ideas before I rush in yet again!! I don't like the spoiler as it is at all, I'm plenty bright and rough enough as it is. I will bear your modification in mind. I love the sound of Pete Thomas's clip of his peice but I'm a lot of mouthpeice type of guy and not sure if it would suit me or be able to deliver the cut and punch which the Quantum excells at.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
Wanting a "warmer" sound might indicate that you would prefer the baffle lower. I think that is what super means by "less". I was suggesting using the modified Spoiler to help with flexibility of sound. It will give you "more" brightness. Larger tips tend to be darker and more expressive (poitch flexibility). My wider window modification makes the sound louder and a little darker too. You could try a dark reed like a Legere. Possibly a Rovner Dark ligature too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree with Hakukani and Grumps, RPC rules on bari. I've tried at least 15-18 high quality and high priced bari mpc's, HR and metal, and Ron's has defeated them all and sets securely on my bari throne. I use his .115 high baffle on my Yani B991 for two big bands and always gets good comments on my sound which cuts through and is solid up and down. RPC is the best bari piece I've found.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts