Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a student (age 15) who will be entering a solo competition which will take place in Jan 2012.
His current repertoire is:
Paule Maurice: Tableaux de Provence I, II
Pedro Iturralde: Pequena Czarda (without the altissimo at the end).

He has previously played the Bozza Aria and Tcherepnine Sonatine Sportive- and is working on the Milhaud Scaramouche. Problem is, both the Tableaux and Pequena Czarda are the same era. He will need two pieces of other eras. He had played one of the Koechlin Etudes... but, frankly, found it too sappy- and refuses to play it. He is playing a fast movement from the Eccles Sonate- but it might not be technical enough for the competition.

Anyone have helpful ideas? I´d sure appreciate any suggestions... THANKS!

·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I forgot to mention that one requirement is the playing time has to be 15 - 20 minutes. There also have to be 3 pieces of different eras- one of which must be a slow movement.

·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adolph Sax Library? I don´t know about this- I haven´t been able to find it by googling. :dontknow:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Many of the earliest saxophone pieces (Singelee, Demersemann, etc.) were published by Sax himself - hence, they are sometimes referred to as the Adolphe Sax Library. In other words, play some Singelee :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mule and Rascher both have arranged Bach and Telemann for Saxophone and piano. Also, the Telemann unaccompanied fantasies are great and cheap.

·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many of the earliest saxophone pieces (Singelee, Demersemann, etc.) were published by Sax himself - hence, they are sometimes referred to as the Adolphe Sax Library. In other words, play some Singelee :)
Thanks for the info... I really wasn´t aware of that. Any specific Singelee that might be preferable?
Also, how do I find these specific works that were published by Sax- meaning... is there some website where they are all listed? Thanks... sorry about the nubeness...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks for the info... I really wasn´t aware of that. Any specific Singelee that might be preferable?
Also, how do I find these specific works that were published by Sax- meaning... is there some website where they are all listed? Thanks... sorry about the nubeness...
If you check out some of the available CDs in this genre i.e. Claude Delangle 'Historic Sax' and Arno Bornkamp 'Adolphe Sax Revisited' you will get a good feel for what would work well for your student. Demersseman's 'Fantasie sur un theme Original' is always a favourite, but could be beyond your students technical capabilities. So having a listen to those CDs would give you a good idea.

·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you check out some of the available CDs in this genre i.e. Claude Delangle 'Historic Sax' and Arno Bornkamp 'Adolphe Sax Revisited' you will get a good feel for what would work well for your student. Demersseman's 'Fantasie sur un theme Original' is always a favourite, but could be beyond your students technical capabilities. So having a listen to those CDs would give you a good idea.
Great idea- most appreciated... thanks for that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts