Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Selmer Concept Mouthpiece for my Mark VII Tenor. Great sound....but I sense that the ligatures I own are just a bit too large. I have a couple of Rovner (leather) ligatures that I have tried out, but I need to tighten the screw down all the way....and they only hold in the inverted rotation. I have a D’Addario H Ligature that I have tried, but I have to clamp the screws down all of the way to get it to hold - and the reed is still a bit loose. I suspect that a slightly smaller ligature might hold the reed a bit more consistently.

Any recommendations of what I might try that would be a bit smaller. Looking for a classical sound for the set up.

Thank you for any ideas.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
I just picked up a Selmer Concept Mouthpiece for my Mark VII Tenor. Great sound....but I sense that the ligatures I own are just a bit too large. I have a couple of Rovner (leather) ligatures that I have tried out, but I need to tighten the screw down all the way....and they only hold in the inverted rotation. I have a D’Addario H Ligature that I have tried, but I have to clamp the screws down all of the way to get it to hold - and the reed is still a bit loose. I suspect that a slightly smaller ligature might hold the reed a bit more consistently.

Any recommendations of what I might try that would be a bit smaller. Looking for a classical sound for the set up.

Thank you for any ideas.
Easiest thing is to just add a piece of thin cork or a mouthpiece patch between the ligature and the top of the mouthpiece. Works a treat and also protects the mouthpiece from any potential scratches.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,774 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like the Vandoren M/O might fit. I bought one a while back because I liked them on clarinet, but it's just a bit too small for all of my HR tenor mouthpieces. It's a nice looking ligature, though, and they are pretty secure and easy to use, in my experience.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2phunkey4u and dirty:
Great reco. Bought an Optimum. Works like a charm. It worked better than the patch, not so much because the patch didn’t work, but the Optimum also solved some other minor issues I was having. Great ligature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts