Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm a relative beginner at the sax and although I sometimes like to listen to classical music and have attended a reasonable number of classical concerts I've not got any classical training whatsoever and my sight reading isn't great either.

So far on the sax I've stuck to learning blues and jazz standards and doing all the standard stuff like long tones, scales, etc, etc, but I'd like to just try a classical piece just for the experience of it. I particularly like baroch music like Bach's Brandenburg Concerto and cello suites and I like passionate and dynamic movement like in Bruch's violin concerto for example, although I'm not very well educated in classical music.

Is there a piece that someone can recommend I try that isn't too difficult and that I could find the sheet music for and have a go at (unaccompanied)?

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You could have a go at some Oboe pieces; the range is identical and there is a HUGE repertoire available. It takes considerable skill to play Baroque and Classical music with the required precision of articulation and phrasing on the tenor sax.

The available literature is enormous, but something by JS Bach or CPE Bach, Teleman or Loeilet (sp?) or the lovely Cimarosa Concerto (arr Arthur Benjamin) would all fit the bill.

I know these are not 'Sax' pieces, but they are IMO a good place to start simply because they are some fantastic music.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. I definitely need "simple" because I'd say that two of my weakest points are phrasing and articulation, so in fact learning one or two classical pieces might be very good for me. I do not mind in the least whether it's written for sax or not, but I would definitely need to be able to get hold of a recording of it so I can hear what it's meant to sound like.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Who says you can´t play alto pieces on tenor?
You´ll only run into a problem if you want piano to play along.

Try Sonata No. 3 by G. F. Handel Arr. by Sigurd Rascher
It´s in ¨The Rascher Collection - Solos from the Repertoire of Sigurd Rascher¨

Give it a try.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Rick Adams said:
Thanks Dave. I definitely need "simple" because I'd say that two of my weakest points are phrasing and articulation, so in fact learning one or two classical pieces might be very good for me. I do not mind in the least whether it's written for sax or not, but I would definitely need to be able to get hold of a recording of it so I can hear what it's meant to sound like.
Heinz Holliger is only one of the of amazing players who have made fantastic CDs of Oboe music, but he is also a good place to start; he has a very direct and simple approach which belies his staggering mastery of a wind instrument. His approach is similar to that of Claude Delangle (professor at the Paris Conservatoire) although he is almost a generation older.

Holliger has recorded all of the most well known repertoire so you should be able to find recordings easily.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Rick,

Try here.

http://www.8notes.com/bach.asp

The "Prelude from Suite No1 for unaccompanied Cello" is a good workout. Print it out and put it into "band in a box", or "finale", "sibelius", or whatever.

Play it in one key (sounds just as good played slowly, so take your time) then try taking it through other keys. I'm doing this on Clarinet at the moment, and it's great fun.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My daughter did Spanish Dance no 2 out of the Teal book "solos for the tenor sax player. It has piano accomp but sounds quite nice unacommpianed.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A.Smith said:
I may have just have come home after a few drinks, but seriously!
There's nothing like a nice bit of spelling snobbery to make you feel good eh? Thanks, that's made me feel much more comfortable entering the world of classical music for the first time in my life. ;)

Thanks veryone for these great ideas. Now I'll have to pick one :? (and then I'll have to play it :shock: )

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts