Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,242 Posts
Make the CD look as professional and slick as you can. It's about marketing. The cynic in me says that it doesn't even matter what's on the CD. Sometimes I think the CD could be blank, as long as it's printed in full color with a picture of the band. But the best thing is to produce what looks like a record company product, with color graphics on the CD itself and a full sleeve. Have track and personnel listings, invent a record label or production company name, shrink wrap it, and put the band's web site url prominently on the back. It's more about the packaging than the recordings. Sorry, but that's reality. Also print up nice looking cards, larger than a business card, that look like something you can put on cocktail tables to advertise the band's appearance. Let the club owner or manager see a few of those. And tell him or her about your email list and how you'll promote the gig on your web site and Facebook page, etc. When you get the gig, offer the CDs for sale. It's all about the promotion. The playing has to be good too, but if you don't make it look like your playing is good, they tend not to believe that it is. I have friends who finally came to see my band, they had a great time, really loved the music and the show, and afterwards said, "You never said the band was good." Well, duh.

BTW, I have not followed my own advice. But I've seen other successful bands who have. :D

·
13,242 Posts

·
13,242 Posts
wow, zombie thread is right. I just looked at my posts from 10 years ago ... and I now disagree with everything I said then. Forget CD's, nobody does those any more. Post a 30-second video on Facebook of your band playing to a packed house of dancers, get 1000 likes on the band's page, call and email the club booker and send them to the page to see the band and see how many likes they have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts