Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting on this site, as I'm not a sax player, but this seemed to be the most informative site I could find and seemed to be the most polite. I have a 1934 Selmer Radio Improved Alto sax that my grandfather had purchased brand new when he had his band. My dad played in the band, and also used the instrument, but it was placed into storage over 40 years ago and never played again. My grandfather passed away about 20 years ago, and the sax went to my dad, who passed away 2 years ago and the instrument came to me. I do not play, and, with a family of 5 children and the slow economy, I could use the money more then having it sit in it's case in a closet, doing nothing.

I had the instrument looked at by a friend who is a professional sax player, regularly tours with the Eagles, who told me it needed new pads, had a couple of the cages over the valves slight bent and needed a general tune up before it could be played. He recommended to me Gino Micheletti, an elderly gentleman in Sebastopol, CA., who does all of my friends work and repairs and has been in business for eons. Gino went thru the instrument, replacing all the pads, installing new springs, adjusting all valves, keys, etc, fixed the bent piece, and cleaned it up in general. He played it for me, and stated it was in like new condition, played excellent and had excellent tone and pitch. He also volunteered his time and information for any prospective buyer to contact him and he would give you any information needed on this instrument.

It comes in a vintage case, I do not know if it's the original or not, but the case, while showing wear, is in very good condition, with all the interior compartments solid, showing no loose nails or dividers. It includes several music books my grandfather had, a mute, a screwdriver/spring tool, a Selmer lyre, a reed cutter, and several paper pieces of documentation from the Lakes Region in New Hampshire, where my grandfather was from and had his band. The lacquer is original, with Gino estimating it to be 85% +. There are no dents, dings, etc in the horn. It is 100% playable as it sits, ready for a new owner. There are a couple of interesting paper pieces in this, one being a Post Card from Selmer, another being a brochure from Selmer talking about what there role was during WWI and that the factories were not damaged, with some production pictures inside.

I do not know the value of this piece, as the vintage prices seem to have some fluctuation in the market from what I've researched, and there doesn't seem to be too many of these coming to market to get an accurate picture of value. I do know that it's not the most desirable model, and I am not looking for an unrealistic price, or a Fleabay auction frenzy. I put $500 into the work Gino did, so that i could sell it as a playable instrument with a professionals knowledge of it. I didn't want to try to sell it as a project unknown.

So now I need to try to sell this. I'm hoping that some of you here could help me with a reasonable value for this sax. I need to get as much out of it as possible, but I'm not looking to gouge a potential buyer. I'm posting some pictures at the end of this. I will also provide my personal number and can provide Gino's number to an interested party, but will only do that in private messages.

Thanks very much for any information and help anyone can provide.

Sincerely,

Taylor Richardson

Note: The second picture shows the horn on its side, near the bell, you can see an area where the lacquer was burned off due to having to resolder the cage on the instrument. Thus the light colored area around the mounting tab.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.