Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
790 Posts
I'm assuming your question is in regard to the small 16th notes. These are called grace notes and should be performed quickly before the in-time placement of the note each one precedes. They should also be slurred to the notes they embellish - again, that's the note each one precedes. In jazz and popular styles of music, these notes often are performed to blend in with the tone they embellish. In some instances, a slight lip bend would be appropriate to help them blend in, especially when the grace note approaches the tone from below - you just have to weigh the style of the piece and use good taste. This may be slightly different than a classical interpretation where the grace notes should be performed cleanly with accuracy.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo:
Rhythm Changes Lesson:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,766 Posts
Try tapping out the rhythmic values to the notes at slow speed but leave out the grace notes. When you've got the rhythm down add the melodic values to the notes, still leaving out the grace notes. Finally, when you have the rhythm and melody securely in your head, add the grace notes. The first and third go down a half step, the second one goes up a half step. They should fit right in without adding any time value to the measure, just a momentary "ti-yah" onto the eighth note, speech-like, almost as if you hit the wrong note and quickly corrected yourself. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm assuming your question is in regard to the small 16th notes. These are called grace notes and should be performed quickly before the in-time placement of the note each one precedes. They should also be slurred to the notes they embellish - again, that's the note each one precedes. In jazz and popular styles of music, these notes often are performed to blend in with the tone they embellish. In some instances, a slight lip bend would be appropriate to help them blend in, especially when the grace note approaches the tone from below - you just have to weigh the style of the piece and use good taste. This may be slightly different than a classical interpretation where the grace notes should be performed cleanly with accuracy.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo:
Rhythm Changes Lesson:
Thanks a lot , Randy,
Thank you for sharing ur link, is useful:)

Try tapping out the rhythmic values to the notes at slow speed but leave out the grace notes. When you've got the rhythm down add the melodic values to the notes, still leaving out the grace notes. Finally, when you have the rhythm and melody securely in your head, add the grace notes. The first and third go down a half step, the second one goes up a half step. They should fit right in without adding any time value to the measure, just a momentary "ti-yah" onto the eighth note, speech-like, almost as if you hit the wrong note and quickly corrected yourself. Hope this helps.
Thanks, shotgun,
no wonder i felt my rhythm so weird..i will practice more for that, thank
you XD!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts