Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am playing a part that is marked "Egyptische Trompete in H".

I am assuming this means trumpet in B.

What do I need to do to my part to play it in the proper key if I am playing Bb trumpet?

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
When any instrument plays the note "C", it is the same pitch on the piano as the note that is part of the instrument's name. For example when a "Bb" trumpet plays "C" it is the same as a Bb on the piano. When a "B" trumpet plays its "C" a "B" sounds on the piano---a half-step higher than the Bb trumpet. With this information you should be able to figure out the transposition yourself.

·
Registered
790 Posts
jaysne said:
I am playing a part that is marked "Egyptische Trompete in H".

I am assuming this means trumpet in B.

What do I need to do to my part to play it in the proper key if I am playing Bb trumpet?

Thanks for your help!
If it is just the title of the piece (Egyptian Trumpet in B) then maybe there is nothing to transpose. The piece might be written in the key of B.
Any sharps written in the keysignature?

·
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jbtsax said:
When any instrument plays the note "C", it is the same pitch on the piano as the note that is part of the instrument's name. For example when a "Bb" trumpet plays "C" it is the same as a Bb on the piano. When a "B" trumpet plays its "C" a "B" sounds on the piano---a half-step higher than the Bb trumpet. With this information you should be able to figure out the transposition yourself.

That part I understand. But I don't get the next step--how to make my Bb trumpet sound like a B trumpet by altering the music it's playing. I know I will have to go up or down a half step--my brain just won't let me figure out which one.

·
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grumpie said:
If it is just the title of the piece (Egyptian Trumpet in B) then maybe there is nothing to transpose. The piece might be written in the key of B.
Any sharps written in the keysignature?

The title of the piece is Aida Grand March and Finale by Verdi.

There are no flats or sharps in the key signature.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ok, well jbtsax gave you all you need to know, your Bb trumpet will sound a half step below the B trumpet so to compensate you need to go half a step...........

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Just push your tuning slide in all the way. :twisted:

·
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, thanks for everyone's help. After a few minutes of arduous figuring with paper and pencil I figured it out (play up a half step). I'm not used to this but I'm sure if I did it all the time it would become very simple.

·
3,494 Posts
Is there such an animal as a B trumpet ????

Seems to be some confusion between the pitch of the trumpet and
the key signature of the piece of music.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts