Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there!
I am about to sell a Yanagisawa soprano that I bought some twenty years ago in a second hand Music shop. I have only used it myself a few times -the clarinet got most of my attention I'm afraid! I took the "Yani" to a friend who runs a musical instruments repairs shop. We both got curious about what Yani model this pretty well kept soprano might be.

The engraved serial number says "07775383" and no model name. It is also engraved with "Made by Yanagisawa". After having looked around in several charts and tables on the web i still have not been able to find a match. I also called one of the most reknowned Yanagisawa dealers in Sweden and asked them, but even they couldn't find any models matching this serial number. But what I have found suggests that this is a soprano made in 1977 (the third and fourth digit should indicate the year of manufacturing). Comparing it to the very good pictures of various soprano models here on this forum suggests it may be a Model S-6 Yanagisawa.

But now I turn to you guys -the true experts in this matter- to get your opinion on this.
The riddle is; What Model might a Yanagisawa soprano sax with serial number 07775383 be? And am I right guessing it is made in -77?
Additional information; it has a straight "neck".

Would truly appreciate your help on this!
Best regards from Nykoping, Sweden.
Pontus

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,334 Posts
Poncar: Welcome to SOTW.

Either photos or a better description would help us.

Yanagisawa made a straight, fixed-neck soprano in their earlier years that resembled a Selmer MKVI. It was the S-6. I recall that later they improved that model (assuming any improvement was needed, but even Yanagisawa falls victim to that mentality) and re-named it the S-800 (I could be off base on that comment). I agree that 1977 is the likely year of manufacture based on that serial number.

Regardless, the S-6 had the low B and Bb pads above the tube's center-line, the older-style left-pinky table, as well as the almost-in-line left palm keys just like the Selmer MKVI and vintage Conns.

It was in the 1980's that Yanagisawa went to the dual-neck straight sopranos with a tilting left pinky table and the bell-pads below the tube's center-line. All Yanagisawa sopranos are considered by most of us to be superb sopranos. DAVE

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
As above: either an S-6 or an S-800. Both great horns, with the caveat of the Mk VI ergos, which can be corrected without any great expense, if it is an issue.
In my experience, more sound than any Mk. VI I ever played or heard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You all for your commitment in this delicate matter! Of course pictures would help a lot. And I'll get back with pictures as soon as I have payed a visit to my friends repairs shop where the "Yani" is at the moment, getting a little "touch up". But so far, as I get it, one could be pretty sure it was manufactured in 1977.
Thanks again!
Pontus

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello out there!
I am about to sell a Yanagisawa soprano that I bought some twenty years ago in a second hand Music shop. I have only used it myself a few times -the clarinet got most of my attention I'm afraid! I took the "Yani" to a friend who runs a musical instruments repairs shop. We both got curious about what Yani model this pretty well kept soprano might be.

The engraved serial number says "07775383" and no model name. It is also engraved with "Made by Yanagisawa". After having looked around in several charts and tables on the web i still have not been able to find a match. I also called one of the most reknowned Yanagisawa dealers in Sweden and asked them, but even they couldn't find any models matching this serial number. But what I have found suggests that this is a soprano made in 1977 (the third and fourth digit should indicate the year of manufacturing). Comparing it to the very good pictures of various soprano models here on this forum suggests it may be a Model S-6 Yanagisawa.

But now I turn to you guys -the true experts in this matter- to get your opinion on this.
The riddle is; What Model might a Yanagisawa soprano sax with serial number 07775383 be? And am I right guessing it is made in -77?
Additional information; it has a straight "neck".

Would truly appreciate your help on this!
Best regards from Nykoping, Sweden.
Pontus
Hello again! Now I'm finally back with some Pictures of the Yani-Soprano to, hopefully, make a sure ID of the specific model possible.

P1020344.jpg
P1020345.jpg
P1020343.jpg
P1020342.jpg
P1020341.jpg

Grateful for any help with this. As said above, Serial Number is: 07775383
Many thanks,
Pontus

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,334 Posts
Definitely the older Yanagisawa soprano-design which began with the S-6 and then to the S-800 (I could be wrong about the S-800 designation). The soprano-photos you posted showed the "in-line" palm key and the three low-note bell-pads above the tube's centerline (which was a copy of the Selmer-Paris design at the time). That makes it an S-6/S-800 for certain.

I'll leave it to someone else who may be even more of a Yanagisawa fan to differentiate between the S-6 and S-800. Nice horn. DAVE

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'd say a s-6, because of the metal thumb hook. Anyway - great horn! Does your's say "Elimona" in the engraving?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say a s-6, because of the metal thumb hook. Anyway - great horn! Does your's say "Elimona" in the engraving?
Thanks Taragot! No, there is only the "Made By Yanagisawa" engraving with the "leafy" ornaments, and the serial number. I doesn't say "Elimona".

So, I take it one could be pretty sure this is a 1977 S-6 model then. Any ideas what could be a fair selling price for a Yani like this? It's in a good, but not "mint, condition. What would you say would be the best "market places" (f.ex ebay?) to compare prices and get a fair idea of its value?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot Dave! Interesting to get information of what specific details makes a indentification possible. /Pontus

1 - 11 of 11 Posts