Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to suggest potential names for my sax quartet?

We really want a name but are stuck for ideas...

Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
batto quattro (Italian for count 1, 2, 3, 4 before playing) , Quattern ( a play on the words Pattern and Quatern ), the Quaternarians, the tetrad, the quaternity,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Maybe you should tell us a bit more about the context, songbook, horns, etc....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Saxopaths. Four to get ready. "Take four"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to suggest potential names for my sax quartet?

We really want a name but are stuck for ideas...

Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!
whats the type of music you play??...jazz/funk/blues?..etc

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Saxophor (meaning "bearing saxes." There's an Austrian 4tet spelled Saxofour.)
Saxtetra
Foureeds
Essayteebee

You can't go wrong with The __________ Saxophone Quartet, as long as the blank is something unique: your town, neighborhood, street, etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Sax of Fun
Sax Fifth Avenue
The Joy of Sax
Safe Sax
The Brass Urinals
Saxutopia
Saxtra
Saximpact
Saxicide
Saxflight

·
Registered
127 Posts
Saxaliscious
MaxSax
4 Guys Making Noise
Saxtastic!
Sax to the Max
We blow :D
Brass Attack (yeah, i know but woodwind sounds too long)
4 horns 4 you
Sax Four Sure
Sultans of Sax
Sax Trax
GoodFellas
Fantastic Four
Four Scores
Four of a Kind

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
You can't go wrong with The __________ Saxophone Quartet, as long as the blank is something unique: your town, neighborhood, street, etc.
I agree with this. Cutesy names will make it harder for people to take you seriously unless it's a phenomenally good quartet to begin with. If you're going to be playing mostly in a certain region, including the name of the town or area in the name of the quartet is good because the local audience will make a personal connection. People like to support "local" talent, so if the name lets them know you're local right up front you may automatically have a more receptive audience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the suggestions!

We're actually all studying classical saxophone at university, and we play all genres of music, but mainly classical/contemporary..

We're looking for a sort of serious sounding name, that we can advertise when we play gigs (which are generally weddings,concerts,community events etc.) Right now we just advertise ourselves using the university's name..but we would like to break off of that and have our own name..

So please if you have any other suggestions keep them coming!

I'm going to show the names suggested so far to my group tomorrow!

Thanks Heaps!! :)

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Saxtet

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
I agree with this. Cutesy names will make it harder for people to take you seriously unless it's a phenomenally good quartet to begin with. If you're going to be playing mostly in a certain region, including the name of the town or area in the name of the quartet is good because the local audience will make a personal connection. People like to support "local" talent, so if the name lets them know you're local right up front you may automatically have a more receptive audience.
Regional names also can act as a signifier of your style (especially classical).

·
Registered
528 Posts
The Satby Boys

Assuming instrumentation is indeed SATB

Also assuming proper wedding tackle...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts