Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_3249.jpg

So I bought this sax back in the early 90's. It's got 1 neck and I still have the original case with it. I just want to know some info on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
They were made in Taiwan and I think they were the 'doorbuster' brand that basically opened up the Asian sax market in the USA. They were also the first ones to bring back the 'tipped-bell' soprano (still incorrectly called 'saxello' by many). I bought one from WWBW around '98 that was an LA Sax but got the 'Woodwind' name instead. LA Sax were styled after the Yanagisawa saxes. I have played my tipped-bell soprano for the ensuing 20 years and it has been a blast. It's had a few accidents and is basically showing lots of wear and tear so instead of spending money on it I recently ordered another one direct from China - they now cost a little more than half what they did in '98 and are still made exactly the same except you can get a gaudier finish, which I did, matte gold with bright gold keys and blue/green abalone shell touches. I hope it plays like the old one, but we'll soon see! I'll have to wear shades when playing this one! Okay, not because I'm ashamed of it but because of the glare! Honestly, the things have a fat, gutsy sound and good intonation. They are twice as heavy as a MK VI soprano for example and can bring out a whole different way of playing soprano. Sometimes I play mine like Earl Bostic played alto; growl, lip trills, etc. The average major-brand straight soprano will not do this - they're much too refined, which is exactly why I don't have one of those.
Sounds to me like you may be thinking of selling it. Used Asian saxes don't carry much value considering the new prices today, but you might be able to get a couple hundred if its like new. If you plan to play at all I would just keep it and spend what it takes to keep it working.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning on keeping it. I can't afford to buy another one. I love it though. I got a C*, a berg larson ebonite, and an Otto Link. It plays great. I was just looking for info on it. I bought it when I was in college and didn't have kids so I could afford it.

·
Registered
Soprano: 1983 Keilwerth Toneking Schenklaars stencil
862 Posts
If you are the original owner and got it in the early 1990s, it may have been designed by David Schottle. I don’t remember if he was on board yet at the time. If he was, he would be able to tell you a lot about your sax. He owns a repair shop in Dallas. He will also work on LA Saxes and other Taiwanese and Chinese horns and return them to top shape.

Here is his website. http://www.davidsinstruments.com/index.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts